Forum rules - please read before posting.

Request (or suggestions for workaround): generate a selective script sheet

When I first generated a script sheet for some voice recording sessions for my game, it generated a single, large document in html - it's nicely formatted and very easy to use for the actors, but even then it contained speech that wasn't pertinent to every actor. But now that my game is growing, so is the amount of dialogue in the game, and the script sheet is rapidly becoming unwieldy: multiple characters are in the same script from all scenes, and so on.

The ability to filter speech in the Unity editor is great, but when generating the script sheet or exporting translations, there's no such filter: only an all-or-nothing approach.

I'd love to have the ability to export the script sheet for, for example, just the player, or just the narrator. Or to export just non-scene dialogue, or scene-specific dialogue.

I've tried wangling the exported translations CSV to get what I want, and I can get most of the job done (although it's not formatted as nicely as the script html), but I think being able to do everything with selective filtering from within Unity would be a huge help. It would certainly be a lot quicker than exporting and then cleaning up the CSV manually each time.

Comments

• I agree on the use of such a feature, though the exact way to do it is something that will take more thought.  I'll look into it for the next major release - currently I'm having to focus on bugfixing.
  • Oh, awesome news, thanks Chris.

Not a problem. I have a workable solution for now - bug-fixing is a much preferred priority!
  • Hey there Geomtrix,

may I ask what your workaround is?

For my prototype right now I only have 2 sheets of text, since I have minimal dialog. But I can see this turning into something more complicated to handle, once I have more than 1 person to talk to or more than 1 scene.
  • My workaround involves using the exported translation CSV. I have to spend some time cutting it up, removing unwanted dialogue lines, and grouping dialogue, but it does get the job done. Essentially it's a manual process (aided somewhat by spreadsheet processing) of what I hope will one day be automated.