Forum rules - please read before posting.

hotspot animation difficulties

First of all apologies..i'm new to this and trying to learn as i go through my project which is an interactive story.. i have created a hotspot ... I have created an animation that i want to happen when I click on the hotspot... but can't get it to happen.. any advice would be gratefully received.. i am reading the manual but can't seem to apply it to my story .. Regards Desie

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Generally speaking, you want to create a Hotspot Interaction that includes the Object: Animate Action.  The specifics of how to use that Action depend on how exactly your object is animated, e.g. through Mecanim, Legacy animation, etc.  If you can post screenshots or give more detail on what you're working with, we'll be able to help better.

I'd also recommend going over tutorial videos, that cover the basics of using AC, if you haven't already.
  • Good evening Chris 

thanks for getting back to me.. I have watched the tutorials and find them very informative. but can't relate then to my specific goal which I'm sure is straight forward but I can't seem to crack this. so far I have   created my 
    set geometry inserted a  sprite which is a bat hanging from a tree.  
    I have created an animation in adventure creator which is the bat opening its wings... 
    I have created a hot spot in the scene view  and want the animation to play when you click on the bat in play mode.  
    I have clicked on the action list associated with the hotspot  and worked my way through the different action types to try and get one that will suit what i want.. but this is as far as I can get ... tried dragging in the object (bat)  the clip i want will drag into the clip section but  nothing will play when I click on the bat...? hope this makes sense...?

• Again without seeing screenshots of what you've done I can only give you general advice - but I'll assume you're using Mecanim to play your animations.  Basically you need to have your animations placed in your sprite object's Animator window.

Animations in the Animator window can be triggered by connecting them up with transitions that take parameters - if you're new to Unity, it's important to understand this concept as Adventure Creator relies on this concept.

Once your Animator window is set up, set your Object: Animate Action's Animation engine to Mecanim, and then set your Method to either Change Parameter Value or Play Custom.

If you choose the former, you can change a parameter in your Mecanim window that - if hooked up correctly - will cause your animation to correctly.  If you choose the latter, you can simply enter the name of the animation clip to play, as it appears in your Mecanim window.

• yes I have completed the animation and set my animation method to play custom. I go to play mode and attempt to click on the object but it is already animating continuously over the top of the game object?
    I want to be able to click on the object and then activate the animation.

file:///Users/fionamclarnon/Desktop/Screenshot01.png
  • That's a link to a file on your desktop.  You will need to upload the file (e.g. to imgur.com) before it can be seen online.

The likely cause is that your animation is already the default (highlighted in yellow in the Animator window) and so will play when the game begins.  You can get around this by creating an empty animation box in the same window, and making that the default instead (by right clicking).
  • I have uploaded three screen shots for you to take a look at and see if this is of any help.. Cant get my head around being able to click on the object and it then play an animation.. still reading and learning but hopefully make some progress this week.

• So, this is what I was referring to in my last post: you only have one animation in your Animator ("BATFLAP"), so this is automatically the default, and will play when the game starts because it can't play anything else.

Follow the steps I gave in my last post.  Create a new (empty) state, make it the default, and then enter "BATFLAP" into your Object: Animate's Clip field.
  • Great job... I set that up an empty default and that worked.. my problem now is to get it to only play the  animation once.. I realise that i am probably asking simple questions here.and if i need to write code I'm in trouble.. but hopefully you can assist with this..
  • Hold the fort...! I think I have it .. I made a new transition and linked it to 'Exit' this seemed to work? Thank you for taking the time up to now..
  • Know that you can also select the animation asset file itself and uncheck "Loop" in it's Inspector.