Forum rules - please read before posting.

Struggling with Basics, Tutorial: Player: Character Prefab

edited June 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi all,

I'm using Unity 4.5.1f3 and version 1.35 of AC cutting my teeth on a 2d adventure game.  I'm following the tutorials (both written and video) and cross referencing against the manual.  

I can usually muddle through most things where the instructions or manual aren't clear.  For example in the tutorial it says to go to "settings" to change the camera to 2d, but it doesn't let the user know it's referring to the AC specific "Settings" Game Editor tab, NOT the Unity Settings; it assumes the user has already started to build the project or has gone through the wizard or even knows how to find the Game Editor (particularly since it's called "AdventureCreator" in the reference screenshot :) ).

Still, I hit problems I can't seem to get around.  Currently I can't seem to get AC to see my character prefab (it even loses the built in Brian2d prefab if you delete him from the field!).  

I've created my character prefab which follows section 3.0 of the manual as well as copying Brian2d exactly.  I've tagged it as a "Player" and it is set to "Ignore Raycast" however when I go to Settings it the list is completely blank (it doesn't even currently allow me to select "Brian2D").  I'm at a loss.

I've even moved my prefab from the Resources folder under my project to the resources folder for 2D Demo side by side with Brian2D.  I see both Brian2D and my Prefab in the "All Prefabs" Project folder.

I hesitated to post this because most of the threads here are generally more advanced (I looked at all 14 pages of threads before posting this) but this basically stops me in my tracks and there doesn't seem to be another location for asking AC questions.

Is this an AC problems or something I need to grok about Unity itself?  If AC, any tips on how to address this?  Also, is there any location that might have a dedicated "newbie" AC forum?  Honesty I'm a little worried I can't even get 7 minutes into the tutorial without running into 4 "difficult" newbie situations :)

Thanks,
-Dan

Comments

• Hi everyone,

I partially solved this by dragging my prefab into the field itself from the resources directory in the Adventure Creator 2d Demo source tree (I haven't tried from my project tree yet).  This lets me actually start the game without the playerstart complaining it doesn't have an object to teleport.

Neither Brian nor my character show up in the list though.

Also I ended up adding the prefab as a node to the hierarchy but he shows up in the editor where Brian doesn't if you add his prefab.  Is there a toggle somewhere on Brian I somehow missed?
  • Available player prefabs don't appear in the list, unfortunately - this seems to be a Unity-related issue.  Dragging the correct prefab file into the "Player prefab" field is the correct way to do it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about adding the prefab as a node, but you needn't drag the prefab into the scene hierarchy (once it's been created).  AC needs to handle this automatically, so that you can begin the game from any scene while testing.
  • Thanks for the reply Chris and sorry I didn't get back sooner.  I've been spending a lot of time learning more about Unity and it's scripting (C#) over the last month.

When I said "node" I should have said I added the prefab as a GameObject to the hierarchy list.  Now I see I don't need to do that and have been able to drag+drop as normal.

Hopefully next time I have a problem I'll be able to better describe what's going on :) 

• I know it is an old topic, but for anyone stumbling here (like me) having a similar issue.

I wasn't able to assign the Player prefab while the Game Editor was in a separate window, but was able to set it when the Game Editor was in a tab in the Unity Editor.
  • @Mentoliptus: As Game Editor is dockable, a behaviour of such windows in Unity is that they'll become hidden underneath the main window if you click elsewhere - that may have been what was going on.