Forum rules - please read before posting.

Move player with mouse clicks

edited June 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi all, I am sure I probably overlooked something in the tutorials on how to move the player via mouse clicks. Can anyone advise me on how this is done? I really appreciate it.

Comments

• Have you set the game mode to Point and Click in the settings menu? Is your game 2d or 3d? Have you created a navmesh? Have you set a Player character? Can you explain in more detail what you have done so far?
  • Depending on which kind of game you're building (2D or 3D), it's worth opening up the demo scene to see how best to implement a point-and-click game.  Once you're done with the demo, be sure to use the New Game Wizard to create your own set of managers and go from there.
  • I'm actually having this issue myself. I'm working in 2D, created a player prefab, added it to the scene. With or without the NavMesh2D I can't move anywhere using Point and Click. Direct works, and if I change my scene window to show 3D I see the character going towards and away from the camera as well as left and right.

I'm new to both Unity and Adventure Creator. So any and all help would be great.

Thanks
  • edited July 2014
    So under camera settings I've set the perspective to 2D, moving and turning to Unity 2D, and I've set the pathfinding method to Unity Navigation. Once I've set the navmesh and collision cube down, then baked them I can finally move... but only side to side no matter where I click.

The game I'm trying to create has a top down view, similar to the SNES Zelda games, so forcing perspective for distance isn't something I need to do. I haven't figured out a way to have the navmesh cover the entire area yet, because it disappears at the cameras middle viewing area.
  • found out my issues, I needed to slope my navmesh and collision cube and Bake again. just a heads up if anyone else runs into the same problem
  • Thank you all for the replies. I have the game set to Point and Click, 2d, using player prefab, have navmesh. I was able to set up a hotspot for the player to walk to, but I still can't point to areas in the nav-mesh and click to move character. Sorry, I am new to Unity and Adventure Creator. Please let me know if you need more information as I'm not too sure of what to include when telling you about my project. 

Sincerely,

Adam
  • No worries! In the Scene manager, have you set the default navmesh? And what pathfinding method do you have?
  • Thank you Guran! It was that I didn't have the default nav mesh set. I was tearing my hair out and it was something so simple. Progress can now continue for me =)
  • No problem, happy I could help!