Forum rules - please read before posting.

Access Pause button via script

edited June 2014 in Technical Q&A
I'm trying to use a script to make an action when I click on the pause button...the script is like this

void update ()
{
if (Input.GetKeyUp(KeyCode.Space))
{
 myEffect.enabled =!myLight.enabled;
}}}

what should I put instead input getkeyup to have this working when I'm on the pause button?

thx

Comments

• or even better something like : if the engine is paused do this
  • I don't understand what you mean - what pause button?

The code looks OK, but bear in mind that if the game is paused you'll need to have it in an Update function, not a FixedUpdate function, to work.
  • I'll try ti explain better. I need to call a camera effect only when the game is paused. How would you di that?
  • Checking the value of the StateHandler script's "gameState" variable will tell you if it's paused or not:

StateHandler stateHandler = GameObject.FindWithTag (Tags.persistentEngine).GetComponent <StateHandler>();
    if (stateHandler.gameState == GameState.Paused)
    {
      // The game is paused
    }

• edited June 2014
    he keeps sayng the name StateHandler doesn't exist in current context.

Maybe at the moment the boolean is private? (no is not just cheched)...
  • At the moment my script is like this:

Public class BlurOn : MonoBehaviour
    {
         private BlurEffect myBlur;

void Start ()
         {
          myBlur = GetComponent<BlurEffect>();
          }

void Update ()
          {
          if ??????????????????
          {
          myBlur.enabled = !myBlur.enabled;
          }
          }
          }

the ?????????? is the part I'm missing...

• I solved like this Chris...just tell me honestly what u think about it.

I assigned a constant id to the main camera. then I did a script with void TurnOnEffect and void TurnOffEffect attached to the maincamera. Then I went into the menu manager and in the pause menu I added on the base action list ( the deselect inventory one) another actions (send object message custom turn on effect)...now it works...but I don't know if this was the right way to achieve what I was looking for.
  • If it works, it works!  Personally, I'd write code in the MenuSystem script instead, but that's still a viable way.