Forum rules - please read before posting.

Any tips on getting up and running?

Hi Guys

I recently purchased Adventure Creator and got the free Version of Unity as well.

I'm doing some Video Tutorials to get started, but i'm kind of lost. I mean i only need to know Unity so much that i can use Adventure Creator effectively (i used Visionaire before), so do you have any tips for me, what i need to know so i can get started building Adventures? :)

My game will be 2D so i don't really need to know that much about Mecanim, although i plan to maybe incorporate some Realtime Elements into it.

How did you get started? Did you know Unity already or did you learn it on the go when you discovered AC? 

Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Thanks and cheers!

Joel

Comments

• I was in the same boat about six months ago. I started using Unity to use Adventure Creator, after giving up on Construct 2 and, in my case, taking the plunge into 3D. I'm trained as a 3D artist, though, so my focus was on art - which is why something like AC was perfect for me as a core for my dev work.

I did both Adventure Creator tutorials then, and there's now a third one. I highly recommend that you at least do the 2D one, and I'd suggest doing both the 2.5D and 3D tutorials as well, as they explain a lot of very useful things.

After that, I used the extensive AC manual as reference, and searched the forums for anything that I couldn't easily find in the manual.

That's with AC, at least. For Unity I've spent a lot of time figuring things out, and I now feel like I'm starting to hit a stride where I can solve many problems without having to ask for help. And that's working with Unity full-time for nearly six months. I suggest that you do at least some of the Unity tutorials, especially when you get stuck on something. And don't neglect the Unity forums. They're a bit of a pain sometimes but you'll often find your solution there. And, of course, the Unity manual. It's very extensive, so turn to it whenever there's something you don't understand.

I also recommend that you pick up PlayMaker. PM and AC work very well together (by sending messages to each other's scripts and objects), and PM can do a lot of things are are beyond the scope of Adventure Creator. And you can extend it even further with the Ecosystem plugin - check out the PM website for the details.
  • Funny, i used Construct 2 as well :)

I'll definitely look into PlayMaker, i think for now i can work with AC just fine. There are just many open questions like how the Animation System works exactly, if i can integrate Toon Boom XML Exports as animations etc etc.

I actually watched the whole 2D Tutorial and i'll watch it again, following along :)

Thanks for your tips!
  • There a lots of great and complete video courses from Lynda and Digital Tutors. I would recommend to watch something like Unity 5 Essentials. When I first started with AC it was pretty hard to understand many things, After watching complete course I felt my self more cozy inside game engine. The only downside in your case that most of video courses focuses on 3D not 2D. 

Maybe that helps :)  
  • edited December 2015
    Lots and lots of youtube videos my friend. First watch every video Chris has. He is very good at explaining the mechanics of Adventure Creator, then check out all of the great vids on youtube of how to use unity. It's a long learning curve, but once you get the hang of Unity it it becomes second nature. I spent the better part of 6 months just learning through trial and error.