Forum rules - please read before posting.

Speech, subtitels, translations and audio play woes.

edited November 2015 in Technical Q&A

Till now I was hacking through by using variables to get
this done.

But then decided to try speech play and translations. I got confused there real
bad.

1. First to keep my project organized I create audio files with their
names at least giving me a clue what this file will play.

For instance AnnaHospital01, AnnaHospital02 and AnnaHouse01 etc. would tell me
Anna is gonna talk in hospital first set of text lines.

In AC I have a Character named Anna so I refer to it in my action Dialogue:
Play speech
and have speaker Anna selected. Then I follow tutorial Playing voice files .

Then I Gather text and Create script sheet .

However when I open that script sheet I see Filename: Anna303, that is
the filename that should be named as my first AnnaHospital01 audio file to be
played.

This means I have to rename it into Anna303 etc.

This makes super hard to edit audio files and know which one is which,
since you'd just have a bunch of audio files in your recourse/speech as
Anna303, Anna412 etc.

I tried to rename the Filename: Anna303 into something more understandable like
AnnaHospital01 in script sheet and when I saved it nothing was changed, AC Speech
tab still shows me ID 303 , and Ann303 is the filename to be played.

2. Also doesn't work changing the actual text speech in the script
sheet, it  doesn't change what the character says. How to edit script
sheet that it can be used in AC? So we don't need to load scenes and manually
look for those actions in our action lists to make changes.

3. Tried to use translations to no avail. I created new translation
exported it, made changes and imported it back. Tried to check Prevent the
original language from being used? Didn't work changing language in the game either. Also couldn't find tutorial about creating translations in your game.

At the bottom of this page there
is a link to this tutorial but it leads to contact AC.

Thanks for your help...

Comments

• edited November 2015
    One more problem

For instance I don't know character Anna yet so in subtitles I'd want to put Woman as a speaker. Before she introduces herself.
    This means I would also have to rename my Character/player object Anna into Woman too.
    And when I gather text again everything is changed, now I'd need to rename audiofile too into Woman303.
    And this makes really confusing to understand or edit what audio files play speech in the resource/speech folder Anna303, Anna203, Anna204,Anna234 ....

Even if I try to cheat it by firstly naming my chacrater as AnnaHospitalTalkLine01, gather text, make sure the file name matches the audio file. And then go back to Unity and change my character AnnaHospitalTalkLine01 into Woman won't work. Because if one more time I try to use gather text it would change AnnaHospitalTalkLine01 into Woman.

Tried to use subfolders resources/speech/HosptialDialogues to no avail.

Can you make the speaker's name in subtitles independent from the audio file name?
    So we could use any name as speaker and have those audio files like AnnaHospitalTalkLine01 etc.
  • 1) It's assumed that you'd deal with filenaming after gathering the speech, so the auto-naming of files is there for convenience.  However, it probably wouldn't be difficult to make this optional - so you can simply drag in the AudioClip into the Speech Manager to manually assign it.  I'll look into that.

2) The Prevent original language from being used? option you mentioned will let you edit your text within the Speech Manager.  You can't edit the actual text within the Action unless you're editing the Action itself, but this way you can affect what's actually displayed in-game.  Alternatively, see this tool.

3) Thanks for letting me know.  The correct link is this one.

4) Keep the GameObject's name as "Anna", and use the Character: Rename Action to change her name in-game to Woman at the start, and Anna later on.  The Speech Manager will use the original name.
  • edited November 2015
    1) Thanks for looking into that. Since the current  auto-naming creates exact name of the Speaker and adds ID numbers. Thus you need to name all audio files according to it in resource/speech folder, but it makes difficult to understand what audio files play, because you have smth. like Anna234.ogg, Anna304.ogg, Anna117.ogg  etc...

2) I thought gathering the text and then creating the script sheet would let you edit all your text in that ..-script.txt file so we wouldn't need to go through actionlists in each scene manualy and edit Dialogue: Play speech actions.

3) Thanks, now I see it.

4) Nice trick :)