Forum rules - please read before posting.

First-person camera.

I would like to use a "first-person" camera that would follow the Player and always stay behind him. The closest that I found in AC is the Third-person GameCamera, however I don't know how to make it stay behind the Player. Am I completely on a wrong track?

Comments

• With the third-person camera, set your Spin rotation to Locked, and then check Always behind target?
  • Sorry, I should have explained better what I'm trying to achieve. I guess I need some kind of mix of the Limited and Locked Spin rotation modes. The camera should always stay behind the Player (not necessarily at exactly 180 degrees) and there should be a way to rotate the camera for about 30 degrees in each direction. Basically, the player should be able to look around a bit.

Alternatively, rotating the Player or just the Player's face would also work, assuming that the camera will rotate along with it. If you think it's a good option, could you point me to the relevant information?

Thanks!
  • I see.  Perhaps it can be changed - I'll consider it.  However, know that you can always implement your own custom camera / 3rd-party asset into an AC scene.  Just attach the "_Camera" component, and AC will be able to detect it.
  • Thank you. How about rotating the Player using the Horizontal axis? Is that possible when movement method is set to "Point And Click"?
  • Yes - the Movement method has no bearing on the camera.  So long as it's during gameplay, you can control the spin with whatever axis you designate it.
  • Sorry for not being clear in my previous message. I was asking about rotating the Player, not the Camera. So, it would move via Point And Click, but also would be able to rotate as in the Direct mode.
  • No, that is not possible.  You could implement a custom motion controller, but this is not built into AC.
  • Thank you. I'm trying to use the free "3rd Person Controller" (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28647). Which option should I use in the Player>Animation Settings>Motion Control? Automatic, Just Turning, or Manual?

Also, do you think the free "3rd Person Controller" can be easily integrated with AC? If not, do you recommend a particular motion controller?

• Did you read the tutorial I linked to?  That goes over the integration of the Motion Controller asset.  While every controller's integration is obviously unique, the idea of the tutorial is to show the general principles involved.
  • Yes, I did read the tutorial. I tried all three options of Player>Animation Settings>Motion Control. It seems that I need the opposite of "Just Turning".
  • Are you sure?  The "Just Turning" setting refers to what AC does - not your custom script.  The opposite of that would cause AC to only affect the character's movement - and leave your script to do the turning.
  • I would like AC to control point and click movement. In addition, I would like to turn the Player using an input axis while he's not walking along the path calculated by point and click.
  • If you can wait for v1.50, it will include a NavMesh Agent Integration script.  This component, when added to a character, will allow you to rely on a NavMeshAgent for player movement instead (so long as you're using Unity Navigation as your pathfinding method).

However, as this script is isolated, you could also duplicate it and build upon it with the feature you've just mentioned (this is actually the point of it).
  • Sounds great. Thanks! When do you think v.1.50 will become available?
  • This month, but not just yet.
  • That's great news. Thanks again!