Forum rules - please read before posting.

Mecanim root motion start walk problem

Hi,

First, because I have never said it before, great asset. Double thumbs up.

The problem I am facing is this:
I have animations set up to start walking in different angles. For example, if the player clicks directly behind the character it should play a turn around animation before transitioning into the walk animation.

I calculate the angle to target then feed the float into the animator to be used as a blend: -180 to 180.

What appears to be happening is that AC has it's own turn to target happening which is conflicting with the animator resulting in an unwanted effect.

a) Am I correct, that even with root motion, AC turns to target? (This seems to be the case because without any move animation, the character stays still, but still rotates to target.)

b) Can I switch off the AC turn to target and allow mecanim to do its thing?

c) Feature request, AC native angle to target, taking into account which way the character will turn. 

Ta
Fil

Comments

• Have you played with the Root motion turning slider in the Player's Inspector?  That determines the extent to which AC turns the character vs Mecanim.

Turning it all the way up to 1 may well give you what you're looking for.  Faiiling that, you could look into implementing a custom motion controller.  AC's Char script has many features for retrieving things like the intended rotation - giving you full control over how the calculated target position/rotation values are used.  Hopefully, though, it won't come to that.

• Ha ha! That did it. Thanks very much.

I must have passed over that slider how many times and never noticed it.