Forum rules - please read before posting.

all inventory items dissapear when changing scenes

Hey

I have this weird new bug i noticed. I have two scenes. Old mans' house and rude boys hangout

if i enter Rude Boys Hangout - all my inventory items are gone. no idea where to even start looking at what could cause it. nothing in OnStart seem to be the bad command for this.

whe going from RBH to OMH they stay in my invenotry it's just when i enter RBH. no idea why.

what should i try looking for to figure this out? (Can it also be something to do with Dialogue System  @pixelcrushers?)

Oded

Comments

• What version of AC you uising?

Do they stay if run an autosave before going to next scene?

Do you have items can be reordered in inventory checked in setting ?
  • version latest 1.49a

and for some reason now i cannot reproduce this problem in the editor.
  • So this is somehow fixed now?
  • I don't know. I don't think i've done anything to fix this. but it doesn't happen all the time. I will try to notice if/when it does again. 
    but if it does, is there anything i should keep my eye for?

• There must be a pattern to it.  If you can learn the steps to recreate it, I'll be able to do something about it.
  • it came back during a playtest using a full PC build. I couln't figure out the pattern yet. but i'll try to.
  • it came back during a playtest using a full PC build. I couln't figure out the pattern yet. but i'll try to.
  • seems this bug is still there. now it happens all the time.
    I still have no idea where to look for clues and what to test.

i'm trying the game flow in different combinatios to try and isolate it. but it might be nice to be able to place a breakpoint somwhere when this happens. any idaes where to look?

• one thing i noticed. I do have 3 inventories - BoltInventory, Inspirations, and Yearbook. the third one doesn't get emptied out when both first two do. 

• Chris - I don't know if @SoundGuy is working on this offline with you. If you haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, here's a little more info I found.

The project also uses the Dialogue System for Unity. I made a copy of the project and completely removed all traces of the Dialogue System for Unity. It still exhibited the same inventory issue, so we eliminated the Dialogue System as a variable.

The reproduction case SoundGuy gave me was as follows:
    1. There are three scenes: EXT, INT, and RBH. Start in EXT. 
    2. Move to RBH and pick up 2 items.
    3. Return to EXT and pick up 1 item.
    4. Combine the 2 items from RBH to open access to INT. 1 item is still in inventory.
    5. Move to INT. The inventory is empty.
    The EXT and RBH scenes contain instances of the player prefab. INT doesn't.

If I add an instance of the player prefab to the INT scene, the problem appears to go away.

If I save the game before moving to INT (even if INT doesn't have an instance of the player prefab), the problem appears to go away.
  • Thanks for the help so far @pixelcrushers
  • Yes, thank you @PixelCrushers.  I've only managed to get the problem to show intermittently, but I hadn't noticed the player prefab's presence in the two scenes - and that's almost certainly the cause.
  • I was also having this problem, thanks for the help
  • This happens to me again in 1.50e. sporadically - I will try to find a single simple way to reproduce it . I've coded some workaround in the game so that if it happens the game brings back some of the missing items that are critical to finishign the game, but it feels a little dirty...
  • Indeed - please try to find those steps to reproduce, as it will need fixing.  I suspect that it is again related to your use of local player objects.
  • I had this issue in the past.

I think there are 1/2 reasons why.

I originally solved it by using an autosave before going to the next scene, without it, the items would disappear.

Having played with things more, my guess is that it was because the scene i was going to had no a sorting map, default navmesh,  gamecamera  etc in the scene settings tab.

Once i filled in these, things work as it should.

So now, even if i dont use them, i set things up.

Can you test this. might be the cause.,
  • I have all these in my scenes. i didn't try the autosave before going. i might try that.

• test unchecking can re arrange items in inventroy, had an issue with this too
  • it's unchecked.
  • Is this an issue that only occurs in builds from Unity 5.3.x?  You should update to v1.50g if so.