Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to sell our games...

edited July 2014 in Adventure talk
Hi all,
I'm a noob in the world of making games. 
I passed my life only playing games but I don't know anything about sell my own game. But I don't think to be the only one! :)

With this Conversation, I would like to share experiences of other indie people who surely can suggest starters how to sell games. 
How, where, what we have to pay attention... maybe also legal advices... all the thing that can be useful for beginners who don't wanna open a software house because, like me, they already have a job and would like to get some extra money from their game (maybe to repay the money spent to buy assets...).

Some users of this forum (thanx @hedgefield, @TayannaStudios, @Guran) kindly share some information to me and I would like to share with others. 

Suggested sites to publish our indie games (personally not tested yet) for PC and MAC:
- Own site (pro: no percentage to others / cons: limited bandwidth, poor audience)
- Humble Store (has widget for own site for an easy payment/handle Steam keys/low percentage)
- Steam (I think Greenlight)
- itch.io
- GOG
- BigFishGames

Android:
- Android Market
- Google Play Store
- App-Shop Amazon
- Humble Store

iOs:
- App Store

Hoping this thing can help each others.

Cheers

Comments

• Of course, there's iOs and Android but the list seems to focus on selling on the PC/Mac platforms. I'd love to know of some more.

I think the disadvantage with hosting and selling it from your own website would be to get the traffic to your website for a start. GOG and Steam already have huge audiences so that's a clear advantage they have over hosting it yourself straight away. Plus the bandwidth etc required.

The positive of course would be no fees whenever you make a sale, whereas the others will take a percentage.
  • Good opinion @TayannaStudios;)
    I mean pc and mac, of course, because for iOs there's the App Store and for Android there's the Android Market and Google Play Store. I don't think you can sell this game format in other ways... :-?
  • There's Amazon :)
  • Also don't forget about Humble Store, they are quite big players. If you decide to sell on your own site it might be a good idea to use their widget, since they will automatically handle stuff like Steam keys for you. Plus I've heard that the percentage they take is quite low.
  • Nice tip Guran :)
  • Moved to the new "Adventure talk" page, since I realised there was nowhere else for such discussions