Forum rules - please read before posting.

Changing a camera's skybox material using ActionList?

edited October 2015 in Technical Q&A
I've been through the tutorials on a creating a custom ActionList, but I'm unable to create a script that successfully changes a skybox's material. Has anyone managed this?

Comments

• Oh, and here's the code I used. C# newbie :(

• edited October 2015
    Close.  You've declared "newSkybox" as a GameObject, whereas it should be a Material.  You'll have to update this definition in ShowGUI(), too.

Finally, in Run() you're not checking for the Skybox component in obToAffect.  But you could instead declare obToAffect as a Skybox, so that it's not necessary.
  • Thanks Chris!
  • edited October 2015
    Success. Here's the final ActionList code I ended up with:

I also had to add a script to MainCamera so that the skybox material would be copied over to the GameCamera (per another thread in the Forum):

Appears to work!
  • Hi,

I need to change the Skybox material in an Action Script as this older topic does, but I have tried the linked code and found I cant get it to work. The Custom Action of Change Skybox appears in the Unity editor, and I have attached the added script above and attached to the MainCamera, but nothing happens.

What might I be doing wrong? Perhaps Unity has updated to the point this code no longer works, I am using Unity 5.6. I half remember Skybox's materials used to be set on Camera but are now in the Lighting Tab - Could that be part of my issue?

Thanks
  • I half remember Skybox's materials used to be set on Camera but are now in the Lighting Tab - Could that be part of my issue?

I'd say so.  This thread seems to show the new way to change a skybox at runtime.

This new way should do without the need for any script on the MainCamera - just a custom Action.  For a tutorial on writing custom Actions, see here.