Forum rules - please read before posting.

Icons in 3d space

edited June 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi :) there is a way to make the icons of the hotsots (like use/look/ and the name of the hotspots) appear in a 3d space like they are parallel to the hotspots in the 3d space?

Comments

• If you are using playmaker you can use raycasting to see if the player in pointing towards the object and allow you to activate/deactivate 3d objects when looking/not looking at them.

Is this what you are mentioning?
  • No :)

I would like that the hotspot icons are in 3D space and not towards the player view
  • Still not sure what you mean - do you mean ones further away appear smaller in size?
  • I mean something like this

• Not in AC.  You may be able to do this using Unity's own system, and hook it into AC using a simple script (e.g. to only display when a linked Hotspot is highlighted).
  • Ok, I can configure my own script to make it appear in 3d world like this but I need the USE LOOK and EXAMINATE icon to appear like this...in wich AC script I should look for appereance info of those elements?
  • edited June 2014
    Assuming you're in Context Sensitive mode, this function should return the texture of the active Hotspot:

public Texture2D GetUseTexture ()
    {
      Hotspot hotspot = GameObject.FindWithTag (Tags.gameEngine).GetComponent <PlayerInteraction>().GetActiveHotspot ();
      if (hotspot != null && hotspot.useButton != null && hotspot.useButton.iconID > -1)
      {
        return AdvGame.GetReferences ().cursorManager.GetCursorIconFromID (hotspot.useButton.iconID).texture;
      }
      return null;
    }
  • I was thinking...isn't much simpler to just have planes to simulate the textures in the 3d world and link them to the the interaction method? there is a simple way to link an object in the scene to an action list?

I mean..instead of using hotspots I use 2 planes with textures on them placed in front of a door in the 3d world so if I'm rotating the camera the textures are in perspective with the view. how can I link a function like use or look to them? ty
  • To run an ActionList through script, simple call it's Interact function.
  • Can u be a little more specific? I have an action list called EXAMPLE....from a simple plane how do I recall that?
  • To run when you click on the plane? Just attach a collider and the hotspot script!

To run an actionlist through c script:

public ActionList myActionList;

void Run () {
    myActionList.Interact ();
    }
  • ty so much :)