Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best way to update?

edited June 2014 in Technical Q&A
What is the best way to update to the new version without loading the demo files?

Comments

• Just uncheck them in the import window.  You should still import the InvActionLists and MenuActionLists folders, though, as these may contain ActionLists used by your Menu Manager.
  • I updated. The only problem is everything went fine a part the menu manager...the new ac replace the menu manager
  • Unity 4.5 is a little better about selective updating luckily, you can collapse folders to have a better overview of all the files.

The one thing I noticed is that it now no longer singles out modified files at the bottom of the import window, so I'm glad I moved my modified scripts to a seperate folder otherwise I would have been sweating bullets trying to remember which ones to uncheck :)
  • I've found the best way to update AC (and other Unity assets for that matter) is to create a fresh branch in Git and import the asset there. That way I can see exactly what changed and then easily merge the changes with any customizations I may have made.

Takes 5-10 minutes for each update of AC but it's worth it in my experience. When I screw up the merge the worst thing that can happen is that I need to reset to my last known good configuration.