Forum rules - please read before posting.

Footsteps With AC and UFPS

I'm trying to add footstep sounds by usinf UFPS's Vp_Footstep Manager but they just won't play for some reason. I've assigned them to the correct textures etc.

They play fine when I did a test scene with JUST UFPS but once it's used in conjunction with AC the sounds don't play.

Does anyone know why this could be?

Comments

• How does the AudioSource component compare when using AC with when not?  It may be inadvertently muted if AC's volume is at zero, is this the case?
  • I'm really not quite sure what you mean? I don't know what you mean by AC's volume? I can hear the game's background music and everything else, just not the footsteps.
  • Find the AudioSource component that the sounds should be playing from.  Is there a Sound component attached on the same object?  What's the volume of the AudioSource?
  • I have an AudioSource, Sound, and Audio Listener attached to the Camera section of the player character.

The volumes are all fine.

A strange thing is, if I drag the player prefab directly in to the scene and hit play then the sounds of the footsteps from the UFPS Vp_FP Camera component work fine.
  • And what about the actual state of the AudioSource component itself?  Is the component being disabled when this occurs?
  • No not at all, it's all active when the scene's playing.
  • You may have to PM me the player prefab as a unitypackage file, if you can reduce it to the core needed (i.e. just the sounds + prefab, no UFPS / AC core files).
  • Having the same problem here with AC 1.49a. Did you find a solution?
  • Assuming that everything else (player control, camera movement, other audio, etc.) is working perfectly, try this:
    - Add an AudioSource to the player, and assign it to the correct audio mixer (if you haven't already).
    - Open up vp_FootstepManager.cs and go to line 83.
    - Change gameObject.AddComponent<AudioSource> to gameObject.GetComponent<AudioSource>.
    - This will make the footsteps manager actually use the current AudioSource, instead of what it was doing before, which is creating a new one at runtime (for some odd reason).

I had to fiddle a lot with UFPS to get its footsteps working perfectly, so there may be some steps before this that I've forgotten. Try my above advice first though, and let me know if it's working or not.
  • It's worth me saying also that the AC <--> UFPS integration will be overhauled in v1.50 in favour of a much easier and flexible workflow.  The UltimateFPSIntegration will instead by a component you add to a UFPS character to convert it to an AC one.  The script will be isolated from the rest of AC - meaning if you need to adapt it for your own needs, you can duplicate it and make amendments without needing to overwrite AC itself.
  • ^ That both excites and terrifies me. I've done a lot of tweaking to get things working the way I like, so hopefully the changes won't break too much in my project.

With that said, the vast majority of the fiddling has taken place on UFPS's side, so things should go smoothly :)
  • A large but necessary change.  UFPS constantly changes the way it's components are managed, and it's actually impossible to get a "one size fits all" integration.  The best solution, IMO, is to provide a stable and robust base integration, but one that can be easily modified without messing with AC itself.
  • Haha, as someone who only has to bend UFPS to fit the purpose of a single game (and has infinite headaches with just that), I can only imagine the pain of having to support possibly hundreds of games!

Almost unfortunately, it really is a good asset once it does what it's meant to, though, so I'm glad you're continuing full support for it.