Forum rules - please read before posting.

Dialogue option scrolling

Heyhey!

I really love using Adv.Creator so far, however i have reached a point where i could need some assistance now..
In my game, i have quite a lot of dialogue options for the characters (35 at most). My GUI can only show the first 8 of those, though. Is there a way of making a scrollbar or buttons that make the list scroll up and down?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Hi @the_dhel, welcome to the forum.

You can create scroll buttons by creating two Button elements with their Click type set to Offset Element slot.  Then fill in the boxes beneath to get them to shift the dialogue list left and right (or up/down).  The same trick is used in the default Inventory menu, if you want an example you can check.
  • Hi ! 
    I'm just getting started with AC, but although I understand how Offset Element Slot works, I can't find a way to switch the offset from Left-Right to Up-Down.

I'm trying to make a similar dialog list as @the_dhel, that I could scroll through.

Thanks in advance :)
  • Left and Right will behave like Up and Down if the element they affect has its slots arranged vertically.  The default Inventory Menu contains an example on how scrolling can be achieved, but I can't give more specific advice without seeing screens of what you've tried so far.
  • So, basically this is what my conversation element looks like : I made a "Up" button and set its "Offset Element Slot" to Left, and a "Down" button set to Right.
    The DialogList can display up to 10 dialog options ; I created a test conversation with 10 options, but when I click the buttons, nothing happens (neither on screen nor in the console). I once made a mistake and entered a wrong name in "Element to affect", so when I clicked the buttons the console displayed an error message. 
    But here it seems like the game does not detect the fact that there are dialog options outside of the conversation box : also, if I check "Only show when effective", the buttons don't show up in my test conversation.

So I figured this must have something to do with my DialogList options ; this is what it looks like:
    imageimage
  • From your wording, it sounds like you don't have any options outside of the box - you state that your Conversation has 10 options, and the DialogList can display up to 10.  Am I following that correctly?  The behaviour you're getting would be expected if that's the case.  If you want to show fewer options at a time, reduce the number in the DialogList.

The image can't be hosted on this forum, but you can link to one from an image-sharing site such as imgur.com.
  • Ooooh right ! I get it now :)

Thank you Chris, it works just fine !