Forum rules - please read before posting.

Extending Adventure Creator in Boo

edited June 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

I'm trying to extend Adventure Creator with a script written in Boo, which is my language of choice.

By default Boo scripts cannot access classes in C# scripts.

There's a trick to make the C# scripts visible to Boo which works with most third-party assets, though: Simply placing the third-party scripts in the "Standard Assets" folder. This results in Unity compiling the third-party C# script in the first pass, and then my Boo scripts have access to them as they get compiled in the second pass.

Unfortunately, this trick does not work with Adventure Creator. When I place it in the "Standard Assets" folder, I get this error message:
TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'OptionsData'.
System.Reflection.Assembly.GetType (System.String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Assembly.cs:398)
System.Reflection.Assembly.GetType (System.String name, Boolean throwOnError) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Assembly.cs:381)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.GetDeserializationType (Int64 assemblyId, System.String className) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:833)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadTypeMetadata (System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean isRuntimeObject, Boolean hasTypeInfo) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:637)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObjectInstance (System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean isRuntimeObject, Boolean hasTypeInfo, System.Int64& objectId, System.Object& value, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo& info) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:269)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObject (BinaryElement element, System.IO.BinaryReader reader, System.Int64& objectId, System.Object& value, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo& info) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:195)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObject (BinaryElement element, System.IO.BinaryReader reader, System.Int64& objectId, System.Object& value, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo& info) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:223)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadNextObject (BinaryElement element, System.IO.BinaryReader reader) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:130)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObjectGraph (BinaryElement elem, System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean readHeaders, System.Object& result, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Header[]& headers) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:104)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.NoCheckDeserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler handler) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/BinaryFormatter.cs:179)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/BinaryFormatter.cs:136)
Serializer.DeserializeObjectBinary[OptionsData] (System.String pString) (at Assets/Standard Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/Serializer.cs:108)
Options.LoadPrefs () (at Assets/Standard Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Options/Options.cs:58)
Options.Awake () (at Assets/Standard Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Options/Options.cs:29)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object)
KickStarter:Awake() (at Assets/Standard Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:129)
It also breaks the "Settings" tab in the Assets Creator options.

Any suggestions on how to fix or work around this issue? I'd really prefer not having to use C# in my project.