Forum rules - please read before posting.

AC and UFPS in separate scenes?

I just bought UFPS (so still very new to it) for use in some action sequences, but I still want most of the game to use a more traditional point'n'click interface, which is of course what AC does to perfection.

My plan is to have the investigation scenes using pure AC, then switch completely to UFPS for action scenes, then switch back to AC for more investigation and dialogue.

So the two systems would be completely separated in terms of gameplay, being used in different scenes.

My question is: has anyone tried this, and did it cause any issues I should be aware of?

Apart from the design challenge of making the sudden change of pace feel natural for the player ...

Comments

• I'm working on making AC behave much better when switching to "non-AC" scenes as part of the next update.  Right now, if you switch to a scene without a GameEngine, you'll get a bunch of errors - and the update will correct this.

The other option is to register both player prefabs (regular gameplay + UFPS) in AC, then use the Player: Switch Action at the same time as the Engine: Manage systems Action to change to UFPS mode.  You'll then be able to make use of AC's menu system, saving, etc.
  • Great - the second option sounds like what I'm looking for. Hadn't really thought about the need to share the menu and save systems. Will give it a go and see how it works!
  • This setup seems to work fine so far - though I can see I'll be spending some time getting used to UFPS and its idiosynchrasies!
  • One thing to be aware of (in case anyone else tries to do this) is that the game will actually change the movement method setting in the editor when you run the game, so this must be set explicitly on scene load to make sure the correct movement method is used.

Definitely expected behaviour and it makes sense, so not a change request or anything ... :-)