Forum rules - please read before posting.

using a ready made script in AC

I am about buying the EXPLODER (realtime mesh exploder) from Asset Store but how do I use it in AC??

Comments

• If it can be triggered by calling a public function within on of it's scripts, you can use the Object: Send message Action to call the function.  Alternatively, you can write a custom Action, but hopefully it won't come to that.
  • I've got to get this. Just imagine that interaction menu: "Examine / Talk to / Blow up"  :-)))
  • Like I wrote, I just had to get it. Works fine with AC. Makes your game so much more friendly to players who are not into solving puzzles, but just want to get on with the action. Locked door? Used to require a bit of the classic "use-this-on-that" adventure game logic, but not any more - just blast your way through! :-)

On a more serious note, this is exactly what I needed for one of the scenes I'm working on at the moment. If you have problems integrating it in your own game, I can post a short walk-through of how I did it in the 'Adventure talk' section here.
  • I am trying to contact the supplier of that software but there are 2 or 3 more like it, the one I am contacting is Mesh Explosion (17.87€)
    ..................... then I would need help !!
  • I did get an answer from Colverson at Mesh Explosion and indeed he says it  should be easy to interface with AC  and I quote
     "Yours is the first question I've had about AC. Using Mesh Explosion is very
    straightforward and all you need to do is call a single public function so it
    sounds like it might well be possible to get it to work."
    He has sent me an evaluation copy and there is just one public class function indeed.
    But not being a script expert and specially didi not have the need to send the SendMessage with a call to an external function I am at a loss and

OF COURSE I WOULKD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP Snebjorn

• Snebjorn:
    I made it work too !! it's very simple indeed from AC a simple SendMessage->Custom and voila!
    Thanks and if you have found something extra or special pls let me know
  • Sorry !! one more thing : it is not always advantageous to just click with the mouse. Is it possible to activate the explosion with a hotspot or a trigger or a a special key in the KB ??

• Yup - very easy in fact:

• This is fun ...  :-)
  • I've been experimenting with Explosions but I don't know how could you achieve the results of your last picture where you see chunks of the hydrant and are still visual. Every model I use they get 'disintegrated' and disappear from screen. 
    1. Did you change anything in the scripts
    2. could you make a Character explode too (I couldn't)
  • edited August 2015
    1: The only thing I changed was I set the force on the Exploder object lower than the default - are you sure that the fragments are not simply being thrown too far away to be visible?

2: Blowing up a character - how cruel. Will obviously have to try it at once!!! :-)
  • edited August 2015
    So yes, NPCs can be blown up ...  :-)
  • Higher "Force" setting on the Exploder:

• You can even make the player character explode ...  :-)

• Do we have different software packages? because I don't see  a "Higher "Force" setting on the Exploder:"
    I bought Mesh Explosion for 17.87€ there are 2 more with similar titles.
    Furthermore when I choose one of the models (chair,  phone,..) and when I use an interaction the things explode but they keep on showing in the scene so I had to follow the actionlist with an Object:Remove