Forum rules - please read before posting.

Sluggish Nav Mesh

So, I really like the Navigation system Adventure Creator provides. it makes things a lot easier. I only have one major problem.

My character is very sluggish in movement. She navigates alright, but sometimes she'll sort of trip over her feet. Or her movement will slow down randomly and make her do a weird stumble.

The best way I can out it is....she looks like she is drunk. Is there any way to make her walk smoother? I am using Mecanim animation.

Comments

• I would need to see it in action - see if you can post a video, or at least a screenshot of the Scene view when this happens.  Specifically I'd need to see the shape of your NavMesh, and the pathfinding route your Player takes - this should be represented by a blue line in the Scene window.
  • edited July 2015
    So, I logged on to do this, but unfortunately Unity crashed and corrupted a bunch of my scripts. No idea what happened.I had to reinstall everything including Adventure Creator.

Everything was backed up so I was able to put together my scene back together, but now my character won't move at all. I've spent the last two days trying to get her to walk again, but she won't.

I recorded a video of my Nav Mesh, my character, and the animator to show you. I followed the tutorials on the site, and even redid the animator a couple times. Still giving me errors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fd5nkpHqZE&feature=youtu.be

Note: To show you the problem I just added a default Nav Mesh and baked it. That won't be the Nav Mesh I'll use in the final (I have to remake it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did update my Unity to the newest version. I am not sure if it's that or not.

• The Console window was showing errors, but I would need to see the full errors they're displaying.

Aside from that, is the NavMesh on the "NavMesh" layer at runtime?  It's not clear from this if it's down to your NavMesh, or your Player prefab - try placing TinPot in the scene (from /AdventureCreator/Demo/Resources) as the only Player prefab before the game begins, and he'll override your own player.
  • Looking at the video I'd claim your NavMesh is messed up. This is probably independent to the character moving strangely, but the mesh is going through objects. That simply means you forgot to mark them as static. It should not go through the wall but neatly through the door not touching the door frame etc.
  • Christice-  I'll try this today and see if it works.

10 Finger Army- The Nav Mesh is temporary. I specified this in my post with the video--

"Note: To show you the problem I just added a default Nav Mesh and baked
    it. That won't be the Nav Mesh I'll use in the final (I have to remake
    it)."

The messy Nav Mesh was something I made very quickly to show Chris the problem. It'll be deleted once I figure out what's going on. :)
  • Okay, so...

1. My Nav Mesh is on the Nav Mesh layer.

2. The error mysteriously disappeared. Not sure what that means.

3. Tin Pot didn't work. I placed him in the scene and he overrides my character, but he still do anything. He just stands idly in one place.

Here's a screenshot of the Nav Mesh to see of that helps:

And here is TInPot in the scene to make sure I did that correctly:

• The shot of Tin Pot isn't while the game is running, so there's not much to glean from that.  Please post your Scene and Settings Managers - the first thing to check is that your Pathfinding method is set to Unity Navigation, and your Movement method is set to Point And Click.
  • edited July 2015
    Path finding is put on Unity Navigation and the Movement is put on Point and Click.

Here is a screenshot of the Scene and Setting Managers:
    And

Thanks for helping me, by the way. I am hitting my head against the wall about this. Hahaha!

I have a feeling the problem is an easy fix, but I have been looking at this for so long I can't see it.
  • Either way, it looks fine to me - I think you're going to have to PM your scene to me.  Please create a package of the scene (without any of AC's files) and PM it to me.
  • So I have good news!

It now works. I had to change the controls to direct, and then changed it back to point and click....and for some reason that fixed it?

I also had to turn on and off the Nav Mesh and made sure everything was checked, too. I have a feeling that when I transferred the files, something went amiss. And when we reset the character, Nav Mesh, and point in click that resolved the issue.

She also seems to no longer move sluggishly around the stage.  .

If she starts acting wonky again, I'll let you know. But as of right now it seems to be working fine.

• Glad to hear it, thanks for letting me know.