Forum rules - please read before posting.

Feature Request: New Movement Method

My team and I would really like to see a new movement method supported. We will be using a First Person camera view throughout our project and need a row-boat style movement method. Our project is targeted at mobile so we would like the player to navigate scenes by drags and swipes with their touchscreen (with a rubber band like effect for swipes).   

I have created a script to achieve this style of movement, but I am finding it a bit tricky to integrate seamlessly with AC.  I'm having to, for instance, figure out which variables to check in the AC.Player script (or elsewhere) to determine when the player is disabled (for instance, when interacting with a hotspot) - this way I know when to stop adjusting the player Transform so that the player cannot move when not appropriate.  

I'm sure this style of movement could be implemented relatively easy by the AC author :)  Yes Yes? 

Thanks!

Comments

• AC will never be able to cater for each and every movement method that a team wants - instead, it's better to empower scripters to extend with their own code.

You can disable AC's Movement system (just the player's) by using the Engine: Manage systems Action, allowing you to rely on your own completely.  As for working out which variables to check, I'm planning on introducing a Scripting Guide with the next release, v1.47.  But the better way to check for inappropriate transforms would be to check the gameState:

if (AC.KickStarter.stateHandler.gameState != GameState.Normal)
    {
      // Gameplay is blocked
    }
  • Cool! Precisely what I'm doing at the moment. Thanks Chris! :)