Forum rules - please read before posting.

Incredibly basic newbie question here!

edited June 2015 in Technical Q&A
Sooo I've been going over the tutorials and things for the last few
days and I'm now at the point where I'm trying to recreate the first
scene in Blackwell Epiphany in AC. Aaand... of course I'm stuck. :)

I'm having a devil of a time creating Rosa's animations. It's the one
thing that's not gone over in the AC tutorial, so I've been scouring the Unity manuals and the Unity tutorials, to no avail. They all go over how to cut up a
sprite sheet, but they don't seem to explain how to get from THAT to an
actual animation. The manuals/tutorials all assume that I'll be doing TWEENING - e.g., moving bits of a sprite around to simulate animations - as opposed to doing animations frame-by-frame. It's the AGS equivalent of importing all the sprites,
but not being able to assign them to a view. 

I know this is pretty basic
stuff and I feel like an idiot for even asking. I obviously have a looonggg way to go and I will probably ask a lot more of these newbie questions before I'm finished. Any help is appreciated!

-Dave

edit: and is the formatting on these posts supposed to be so wonky or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• edited June 2015
    This forum's held together with duct tape.  I think it has it's own mind about when to format properly and when not to.

It's true that AC's tutorials expect a basic working knowledge of Unity, particularly the animation system.  But this tutorial seems to cover the missing step.  Unity's animations are fundamentally different to AGS's views in that they can only work with objects/sprites that are actually in the scene at the time.

The workflow is the same whether you're tweening or sprite-swapping.  Basically you can keyframe any property of a gameobject in an animation - so to make a sprite animation, you want to animate the "sprite" field of a Sprite Renderer component.  Place in a sprite, attach an Animation component, open the Animation window and use it to swap the sprite field in each frame, and you can then use it in your Animator controller.
  • That's JUST what I needed. Thanks, Chris! 

The best part about that video is that in the middle of it, he finishes downloading a torrent of The Walking Dead. :)
  • OK, now that I've got Rosa walking, I am faced with another inexplicable problem.

In this episode of "Dave is a moron", I have the navmesh created as per the tutorial, but for some reason Rosa will only move left and right. Going up and down doesn't seem to work.Here's a screenshot of my navmesh, if that helps:

• edited June 2015
    And you've set up the NavMesh layer, and assigned the "KarthNav" as the default in the Scene Manager?  Check the Console window for any warning messages.

Strange that it'd work horizontally but not vertically.  The only setting that would affect that is the Vertical movement factor slider underneath "Camera settings" in the Settings Manager.  If that was set to zero, you might get that effect - but it's 1 by default.

Post a shot of your Player's inspector - it may shed some light.

Edit: Hah! Didn't watch closely enough for that.
  • edited June 2015
    I deinitely assigned KarthNav as the default in the scene manager. And yes, the camera settings is set to 1. Here's my player's inspector!
  • Ah! I was looking at the wrong camera settings. The camera setting was set to 3D by default for some reason. Setting it to 2D fixed it. 
  • edited June 2015
    @ChrisIceBox Now that you mentioned it... shouldn't "Vertical movement factor" slider be a scene setting instead of a global one? Or is it that if using sorting maps (affecting speed) then it would be ok ?
  • edited June 2015
    @MaaS: I'll have to think about that - can't be too sure off the top of my head.

@DaveGilbert: If you started your scene in 3D mode, then you'll be using the wrong camera type.  Make sure that any GameCameras you've created have the "Game Camera 2D" script component - if not, you'll have to remove them and create new ones.