Forum rules - please read before posting.

NPC Hotspot?

I know Ive done this, maybe in a tutorial.. but how can I get an NPC to act as a hotspot, as in, clickable. On rollover display a label and highlight, then on click, run a cutscene...
Sorry for dumb question, its late and Im tired...

Mark

Comments

• First thing comes to my mind is to chiled it.
  • edited June 2015
    Im on it I think... thanks to extremely clever menu on the video tutorial I can skip straight to "Conversations".. (Thanks chris!)
    Seems like I was confused because a hotspot doesn't accept an NPC as a possible highlight object, but then.. I just forgot to ad the highlight script to my NPC... maybe it will work now... Ill get back to you!
  • To make an NPC interactive, simply attach the Hotspot script.  If you're working in 2D, you'll have to add it to the sprite object (which should be a child object).  In 3D, place it on the same object as your NPC component (the base object, which should also have the collider).
  • I'm also having this problem. I'm working in 2D. AC 1.71.4 Unity 2018.1.0f2

I used the character wizard to create the NPC so have a hotspot script attached to the sprite child of my NPC, and have tried both Box and Polygon Collidors, but the NPC is not registering as a hotspot...

Is there something else I may have overlooked?
    Here an image of the Inspector for the NPC and its Sprite child:
    https://imgur.com/3XU0hJZ

Thanks.

• The child's placed on the "Ignore Raycast" layer, which will cause the Hotspot to be disabled at runtime. Move it to "Default", and it should be interactive.

• edited June 2020

As a tip, you can see (and change) how hotspots relate to layers via the AC editor:

• Ah great, thanks Chris! A simple solution. YES!
    And thanks Temmy for the heads up :)

Slowly - slowly I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of this... (probably speaking too soon I know)

• @smokeincaves Stay with it. You're doing great.