Forum rules - please read before posting.

Physics Demo in Unity 5

Hello all:

I recently purchased AC (1.45) and have been dutifully going through tutorials using Unity 5 (personal).  EvilLair seems to work just fine and have been getting a lot out of the long (and excellent) videos.  However, I've tried the PhysicsDemo with Unity 5 and have had no luck in getting it to run properly.  I do the setting of "r" and setting up the ManagerPackage.  I run the game and get the sound, but the camera (Navcam) is pointing somewhere and can't be changed (..strange).   Running the office scene yields many errors; mostly "Ignore collision failed" ... looks like a problem in the dragtrack set of c# scripts.  I wonder if anyone has gotten the physics demo to work in U5 and could share how they did it....

JB

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, JB.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce your error: the Physics demo works just fine for me in Unity 5.0.1.  Which version of Unity are you using, and on what platform?

It sounds like something's going quite wrong here, because the NavCam of all things should be untouched by the transiton from 4 to 5 that AC had to make.  Please post the full error log that appears in the console - that'll be key to sorting this out.
  • Welcome to the forum, JB.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce your error: the Physics demo works just fine for me in Unity 5.0.1.  Which version of Unity are you using, and on what platform?

It sounds like something's going quite wrong here, because the NavCam of all things should be untouched by the transiton from 4 to 5 that AC had to make.  Please post the full error log that appears in the console - that'll be key to sorting this out.
  • I'm on Unity5 on a macbook pro (vintage 2011).

The startup scene now seems to play.  I am getting a lot of errors like those shown below:

Ignore collision failed. Both colliders need to be activated when calling IgnoreCollision
    UnityEngine.Physics:IgnoreCollision(Collider, Collider, Boolean)
    AC.DragTrack:LimitCollisions(Moveable_Drag) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Moveable/DragTrack.cs:89)
    AC.DragTrack:AssignColliders(Moveable_Drag) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Moveable/DragTrack.cs:43)
    AC.DragTrack_Straight:AssignColliders(Moveable_Drag) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Moveable/DragTrack_Straight.cs:45)
    AC.DragTrack_Straight:Connect(Moveable_Drag) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Moveable/DragTrack_Straight.cs:51)
    AC.Moveable_Drag:Start() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Moveable/Moveable_Drag.cs:72)

and

Non-convex MeshCollider with non-kinematic Rigidbody is no longer supported in Unity 5.
    If you want to use a non-convex mesh either make the Rigidbody kinematic or remove the Rigidbody component. Scene hierarchy path "_Moveables/_Drawers/Drawer3/DrawerMesh", Mesh asset path "Assets/PhysicsDemo/Models/Table/DrawerMeshCollider.fbx" Mesh name "DrawerMeshCollider"

As it is now, the opening scene plays and all you can do is open the drawers....

Thanks for your help - really enjoyed the EvilLair tutorial.

• You're welcome.  What changed that caused it to work now?  The problems you describe were fixed a fair time ago, and the Physics Demo was updated, so I'm still confused as to why you're getting them.
  • Hi, 
    i have the same issue with a fresh install in Unity 5.1.1f, Windows machine.

Here is the log window as soon as you press Play
    and here after you click and release 2 of the drawers
    After you release a drawer , the drawer wont respond again in another click.
  • @mourelask: I apologise for the problem - it seems that Unity has once again changed the way their Physics engine works under the hood.  The problem isn't there with 5.1.1 on Mac, so it could well be a PC-only issue.  I will look into this further and reply here.
  • Thanks for the reply Chris, if you need me to test any fixes or anything that could help you narrow down the possible issues, let me know :)
  • Tested on Windows 7 and all's fine.  You're doing this with AC v1.46g?  Having trouble recreating this problem.
  • Yup fresh latest install from the asset store
    with the demo files downloaded from this page http://www.adventurecreator.org/games/physics-demo
    Same result, just retried
    The only thing i did was click the assign managers then pressed play :(
  • @ChrisIceBox 
    Its a change in Physx afterall, you cant have a non Convex meshcollider together with a rigidbody anymore. I just replaced the mesh collider in your drawers with a couple of BoxColliders to mimic the drawers mesh and everything works ok. I would advise you to update your Physics Demo source with a similar solution to avoid future confusion, cheers!
  • Thanks - but that's exactly what I did several months back when the Physx change was made.

What I've just realised is that I only updated the link on the Downloads page - not the game page.  Sorry!

The correct physics demo can be downloaded here:
    http://www.adventurecreator.org/files/AdventureCreatorPhysicsDemo.unitypackage

• Heh, yeah i thought that maybe something like that was the issue thats why i linked where i downloaded the demo files! Cheers!