Forum rules - please read before posting.

Inventory subtitle issues

Hi again folks. Hopefully the solution won't jump out at me within minutes of posting this again!

I have a weird problem. I'm using AC's menu system instead of Unity UI (that has its own collection of issues) to create an inventory screen. Simple grid system that's toggled with the "I" button. Making it pop up, go away, show inventory items etc. is working perfectly.

The issue that I have is when the right-click examine subtitle pops up (this is handled with a dialogue -> narrator text action), I am unable to click to dismiss the subtitle, although I have that option checked in my game settings.

This really bothered me so I did some bug-hunting until I discovered the culprit: if the mouse cursor is hovering over a hotspot in the inventory grid, or any other clickable button on the inventory screen (including the "X" close button, but not the plain text label), then the system doesn't register a click to dismiss the subtitle popup. If the mouse is anywhere else on the screen (including between the inventory item slots, even the empty ones), then the click to dismiss does work.

I understand that this problem is extremely arbitrary, but I hope that it's just a matter of me not checking the right box somewhere.

Could anyone offer some assistance?

I've included a screenshot of my inventory menu (clicking within the blue areas doesn't count as a dismissal click), as well as my project settings for interface and inventory.

Comments

• Now this is how you submit a bug report!

Since you were looking into the code yourself, I'll explain what's happening: the ordering of the various input update calls is the wrong way around.  First the mouse state is determined, then it's checked against the menu (which resets it if you clicked on a button), and then it's checked against the speech (which will do nothing since the mouse click has already been "spent").

The solution seems to be quite simple: open up StateHandler.cs, and move line 144:

KickStarter.dialog._Update ();

down to line 162.  It works for me OK, but I'd like to get a confirmation from your end as well.  If it works, I'll push the fix officially in 1.46.
  • Ah, that works perfectly.

Thanks for the prompt response, Chris! Just another reason why I'm so chuffed with my purchase of AC :)