Forum rules - please read before posting.

Navmesh from 3d Tutorial not working?

I am following your 3D tutorial of the Evi Lair. 

When I walk around with my player character, I can walk through the objects like the laser and couch in the living room area, despite the fact that the Navmesh is placed properly.

So I either misunderstand the navmesh concept itself, or I am doing something wrong.

I noted you placed collision cubes in your scenes for walls etc. This makes me wonder if I don't get the whole nav mesh concept. I was under the impression you don't need these colission cubess if you have a navmesh that constraints where the players can go to in the scene? 

My player has a rigid body and capsule collider attached to it. If I put a collision cube in my scene, the playerrcan't get past that.  I am using Unity 5 and downloaded your adventure creator from your site yesterday so I assume it's the latest version as well.

Comments

• Welcome to the community @Killbert.

To be clear: the NavMesh is only used to aid movement when a character is pathfinding (i.e. out of the player’s direct control).  If you move Tin Pot somewhere during a cutscene for instance, or rely on “Point And Click” movement to move him around during gameplay, then he will make use of the NavMesh to avoid obstacles.

However, while you move him directly (i.e. using the “Direct” movement that the tutorial demonstrates, then he won’t rely on the NavMesh - instead he’ll be bound by Unity’s Colliders.  The 3D tutorial relies on CollisionCubes for this, but you can rely on a custom Mesh Collider if you prefer.

Some games can get by with either a NavMesh or wall Colliders - a classic point-and-click game doesn't need wall colliders, and a NavMesh isn't strictly necessary in direct-control games unless you want pathfinding during cutscenes.  However, I showed off the use of both in the tutorial so that people are at least aware of both features.

Hope this clears things up for you, but please let me know if you have more questions.
  • Great, thanks for the quick reply!