Forum rules - please read before posting.

Clouds animation, looping?

Hi, I'm just getting started with AC and it's a wonderful asset to work with. Great work, Chris!

I have a question that someone might know the answer to. I'm trying to animate/translate a sprite cloud across the sky in a scene. I want the sprite to move across the screen, and when it has left the right edge of the screen it returns outside the left edge and animates across again.

Can I do this with actions? I see there is an object transform action, but that has a max transition time of 10 seconds.

Comments

• OK, I seem to have figured it out. I have to set the cutscene property to play back in background. Then I can use the Wait until finished option on the action and just chain a few actions together :)
  • I still think the time limit of 10 seconds is a bit too short though! :)
  • Have you tried to make the cloud a character and have it walk to a path then teleport to start when done.
    Using the walk speed to something slow enough to appear to be drifting across the sky.
    ( rinse / repeat )

• I should point out that such limits are gone whenever you use a parameter in a value's place.  If you have several clouds in your game and want to run this sequence multiple times on different clouds, you can use parameters to do this all from one ActionList.  And when you do, you'll be able to set the time arbitrarily with no limit - this tutorial covers them.
  • I ended up using an "object translate by" action, coupled with a variable that keeps adding up for each 10 second stretch. When the int reaches a set size, it teleports it back to a marker I've set outside the scene.

I will check out parameters though, looks promising!
  • Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I'm doing something some slow background animations with Object:Transform -> Copy Marker actions that work great. However, I am not able to set a parameter in Transition time's place. I've added a Float parameter, but I can't seem to control the time with this value. Is transition time available for parametrization? 
  • Not currently, but I agree it should be.  I'll add it in the next release.
  • Awesome!