Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot vicinity troubles

Hi everyone,

Complete newbie here, so please forgive me if I've overlooked something obvious (well really, I hope that's all I've done).

I'm trying to set up a hotspot Player Vicinity system with first-person controls. I've tested my hotspot with Mouse Over to make sure it's working, and that's all good - the hotspot name pops up and I can interact with it. The problem is, when I switch to Player Vicinity, it just doesn't work. I've gone through the manual entry and every forum entry I can find on the subject. Still not coming right. I'm not even getting the hotspot name popping up.

Here's what I've done:
- Created an empty object on the Ignore Raycast layer, given it the Sphere Collider component (sized and positioned accordingly), checked "Is Trigger", added the Hotspot Detection component, parented the whole thing to the Player prefab, and applied it.
- Assigned the Hotspot detector child in the Player Inspector.
- Set the Hotspot settings in the Game Editor window to Player Vicinity and Show All.
- Fiddled with the Raycast settings just in case - tried both extremes in all values.
- Sat with the game and editor windows side-by-side to watch the sphere collider overlap the hotspot.

I feel like I'm losing my mind!

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Comments

• And not ten minutes go by that I decide to try something else while I wait for an answer, and I discover the problem...

I hadn't assigned my player the RigidBody component. For some reason that through out the whole hotspot thing. 

Discovered this while trying to set up jumping.

Sorry for the troubles! As you were :D