Forum rules - please read before posting.

Players moves when he shouldn't starting conversation on marker

I'm a new user and following along with the demo video. I've set up the talk to bird part and the player walks to the marker to talk to the bird. However, if I end the conversation and immediately click on bird again, even though the player has already walked to the marker, he walks a little way (~1 step) before starting the conversation (as though the marker had moved a little bit). It seems like he moves each time I start the conversation for about 3 conversations before on the 3rd or 4th conversation is actually on the marker so stops moving to start the conversation again. Each time I click on the birds eye as a reference point to start the conversation to ensure it wasn't something related to where I clicked the collider.

Any thoughts?
I'm running v1.45 on Unity 5.

Comments

• Hi @Frogried, welcome to the community.

I can't actually recreate this myself using the same scene that I made the tutorial with, but try lowering the Destination accuracy slider in the Settings Manager, under Movement settings.  This will tell AC that Characters don't have to be quite so close to their intended destination.  The default values should be fine, however - have you deviated away from the tutorial at all, e.g. different background scene?
  • Hey Chris
    The accuracy was set to 0.9 out of the box. 0.79 still shows the problem, but 0.75 doesn't (I didn't bother testing any further to find the totally accurate number).
    The only deviations I've made were inconsequential (marker names / swapping words in the dialog) - everything else I'm following along with as accurately as possible.

As an aside though - I'm so impressed with this product and I still haven't finished the demo! It's awesome! 

• Thanks, I'm glad you're happy with it otherwise.

I've since managed to recreate your issue - seems to be related to an update since the tutorial was recorded.  I'll have it sorted out for the next update, so you should be able to restore the accuracy back up to 0.9 once it's out.  Thanks for letting me know!
  • An update: this is because a recent update fixed a problem whereby characters would stop instantly when they reach a Hotspot, rather than slowing down smoothly (i.e. using the "Deceleration" value in the Inspector).

The destination accuracy was a red herring - instead, you'll need to raise the acceleration/deceleration values (if deceleration = 0, the acceleration value will be used instead).

In the next release, 2D characters will be more sensitive to these two values - so that the default values will work well for both 2D and 3D characters.