Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character Settings: Player not assigning

Hi! It's been a matter of hours since I've become a user of Adventure Creator! Looks good but I didn't get very far into setup. I'm on a Mac, using Unity 5. I loaded the Managers and set the scene up. However when I go to the Game Editor>Settings>Character settings: the selection box will not allow me to drag a game object onto the field! I've tried prefabs, even your own prefab TinPot will not load, and FBX files. Please help me get pass 'Go'! Can't wait to start designing in Adventure Creator. Thanks in anticipation!

Regards,
D1

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Hi @Digital1, welcome to the forum and the AC community.

The Player field in the Settings Manager requires a Player prefab, rather than a model file like FBX.  Are you dragging over the Tin Pot prefab, or the original model file?  Bear in mind that you do have to drag the prefab over - for some reason it's not possible to select it from a list as you would some other asset fields.

The steps to create a Player prefab generally involve attaching a Player script component to your gameobject, and tagging it as Player - but the exact method varies with your specific animation engine.

You can find a selection of text tutorials for building characters here, but if you're just getting started, I'd really recommend you follow the two primer video tutorials that can be found here.  The 3D one is a little bit more advanced, but the 2D one is designed to be a good introduction to AC even if you'll eventually be working with 3D models rather than sprites.
  • It is a very old thread but I was struggling with this problem as well. The solution in a nutshell is:

The player prefab must be placed in the folder that you have created with the New Game Wizard of AC. Only then you are able to drag the prefab into Settings/Character Settings/Player Prefab.

• The prefab's location is unimportant - it need not specifically be in the subfolder created by the New Game Wizard. It does need to be a prefab, however - not a scene object.