Forum rules - please read before posting.

Basic Puzzle

I have two questions. Is it possible within adventure creator to prompt players to type in a response and then have a list of things that if they type, something is triggered? I essentially want to have a puzzle involving the player needing to say something and then being brought to the next scene. 

If I can't prompt players to type something unique, is it possible to trigger dialogue options through the viewing of other objects and then have these new dialogue options, when selected, teleport the player to the next scene? 

I can't program. 

Comments

•  This would be the most frustrating and annoying thing in a game. Have you thought of a player not able to guess that code word or phrase to trigger the progress of your game?
    Besides it is highly recommended not to use any keyboard input in any adventure game.

Not only publishers suggest Mouse Only use, but even insist on that. If you want to have your game
    published think about it.

Try to use a gameobject instead, such as an item.

Take it from a guy who makes and sells games, even before they are actually completed.
  • I appreciate the advice, but I asked if it's possible, not if you recommend it. My game isn't going to be strictly an adventure game and this puzzle will be so designed that it is easy. I'm using  a full controller external from Adventure Creator for controls. 

I'm 100% sure I'm independently publishing my game, it's a passion project, not an attempt at making money. 
  • edited May 2015
    AC doesn't have a "parser", but for simple text boxes that look for a specific finput are possible with the Input menu element.

This tutorial should cover what you need.  While it's actually to do with entering a player name, it still covers the principles in setting up, and reading from, a text box that the user can type in.

As for dynamic dialogue options: you can use the Dialogue: Toggle option Action within your Cutscenes or Interactions to show and hide options in your Conversations mid-game.  You can then have a Engine: Change scene Action run when the user clicks on an option.  This tutorial covers what you'll need.

Please post future questions about working with AC in the Technical Q&A forum.