Forum rules - please read before posting.

Object is getting scaled on load

I write a lot, ofcourse I hope to solve the problems myself as fast as I can but still. So now I have a loading problem. I have a turret in my game, turret gets killed and lands on the ground. I want to save the position of the gameobject, and that works fine. However my object gets scaled, I think I tried all options in the prefab: save scene preference and retain in prefab, some boxes ticked, others not, etc, and I read the manuel about this but I cant seem to save the object so it has exactly the same scale (the scale is not supposed to change at all!). @ChrisIceBox

Comments

• Ok, its going better now. The object had a child but it hadnt have a constant ID and remember Transform script, after putting them there it worked. One thing: before I shoot the turret, I save the game, after the turret falls on the ground, I make another save game. I load savegame 1 and 2 and they load like they should. Nice! But if I where to shoot the turret and then load savegame 1 InGame, the
    turret fells immediately on the ground where it should be hanging (this is ofcourse because I have to use OnLoad). Not sure how to use OnLoad here. Prehaps parenting. Will try and check.
  • edited April 2015
    @ChrisIceBox I cant make OnLoad to work, and I have worked now on this since yesterday. I shoot a turret, turret falls on the ground, I load the game and it is still there. I made a variable to check and a cutscene to run and the variable moment is correct (when the turret falls I run an actionlist that puts it to false). I tried to manipulate the gravity on load, and there are changes but it doesnt work like how I want. The turret keeps stuck on load or keeps falling when loading the game where it supposed to be in place before he falls down.
  • void Update () {
    if(TurretHealth < 1 && canExplode == true){
    AC.AdvGame.RunActionListAsset(TurretBack);
    Instantiate(Explosion, transform.position, transform.rotation);
    TurretFall.transform.parent = null;
    TurretFall.GetComponent<Rigidbody>().isKinematic = false;
    TurretFall.GetComponent<Rigidbody>().useGravity = true;
    TurretFall.transform.Rotate(0,0,ZAxisCtrl * FallSpeed);
    canExplode = false;
    TurretFall.GetComponent<TurretScript>().canShoot = false;

}

}
  • So basically I use an ActionList Asset to set the bool to false. And this works. But the OnLoad Method is not called correctly.
  • imageimageI would like to share some screenshots but it asks for a link and I dont know how that works. Anyway, here is the code that I use for the gravity handling:

public void SetGrav(){

rb.isKinematic = true;
    rb.useGravity = false;

}

public void SetGrav2(){
    rb.isKinematic = false;
    rb.useGravity = true;
    }

Thats all, unfortunately this doesnt get triggered at the right timing, which is caused by the ActionList. The ActionList should be running before or later after but I cant figure out how in this case.
  • The RememberTransform component will store the change in position, rotation, and scale.  You shouldn't have to resort to OnLoad for this, and I don't understand your code about amending the gravity, etc.

The component will store the transform for the GameObject it's on *only* - so if anything else has moved, you'll need a Remember script for that as well.  I don't have enough information about the turret itself to advise anything more specific than that, but it sounds like there's more to it than just the position/scale of the turret model - are there any parent objects being transformed as well that also need to be saved?
  • Ok, the turret has a parent. When the turret dies, the parent is disabled and the object falls on the ground. I let the object fall by gravity, so at first the Rigidbody of the turret (the parent) is set to kinematic, but when it falls, it is set to gravity. So I think the problem here is the state change of the Rigidbody.
  • So yes Chris, the parented part of the turret (the canon) is the object where I am talking about.
  • edited April 2015
    Just to confirm: when I load the 2 different savegames from start, the object is in the right place. But when I play the game from start, save it, shoot the turret, and make another savegame and load savegame 1, the turret is for 2 frames using gravity and then switching back to kinematic which is not desired. I like to keep the state gravity OR kinematic. Does this sound as if I need to make a Remember Gravity script? @ChrisIceBox
  • (Basically remember the state of the Rigidbody)
  • Wow @ChrisIceBox, solved again! So I made a remember Rigidbody script on your instructions (the instructions on the site) and that was the solution. You really have an answer on any difficulty with AC Chris. I cant believe my eyes, thank you so much. In this script I could easily remember the isKinematic and useGravity states of the object.