Forum rules - please read before posting.

WebGL Compatibility

Could someone confirm whether the latest version of Adventure Creator is compatible with Unity's WebGL platform? Given Google's latest push to abandon NPAPI plugin compatibility and support this is changing the game for many web builds in Unity. Now anyone who wants to target Chrome as a platform must build WebGL (Chrome 42+). 

Currently in Chrome 42 there is a severe asm.js bug that causes large code bases (including Unity's) to crash. Testing in Chrome 42 will be useless and Google has addressed this. Chrome 43 (Beta) has the fix in it so any testing should be done in that.

Adventure Creator has done a lot of great things for the game we are developing and we would like to continue to use it. However given the shift in Web Development we hope AC is compatible. 

Comments

• We discussed this in other thread, and it's more a matter of webgl technology in unity more a preview or alpha state. In some articles out there the alpha state is pointed and people recommend by now stay with unity plugin. Maybe in some months we could see webgl a real option but right now is only a a toy.
  • The only problem I foresee with that is that I believe Chrome has the higher browser market share. Given how they have their updates set up on their browsers I feel that common users will likely have Chrome 42+. With Chrome 42 plus, that renders the plugin useless since they have disabled NPAPI support.

While I do know you can reenable it, most common users won't try to reenable it just to play a Unity Plugin game. Chrome is really pushing WebGL as a platform in the coming weeks/months. Additionally I believe I read somewhere that they are completely dropping NPAPI support in September.
  • WebGL is pretty awesome already actually. I used it as the deploy target for Ludum Dare for quite many 3d animations [1]. Works like a charme! I just tried it with a simple AC scene and that worked also. I have an adventure in my browser. How cool is that!