Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player 'Switch' - Any Alternatives?

I'm presently using the Player: Switch functionality to change the sprite set of the main character in my 2D game. Unfortunately, something about this is making the VRAM Allocation of the portable device that I'm building it for go absolutely crazy, creating huge delays and even outright crashes.

Given that I'm not actually trying to change the player character, just his sprites, is there an alternate way I could go at this?

I imagine the underlying problem is some sort of interaction between AC and the hardware of this device that would probably be very difficult to reconcile. If I could simply not use the Player: Switch thing and change the sprites in another way, I think that would be easier.

But any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Comments

• edited April 2015

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to drop in and add that I've now solved this problem - it was some sort of problem related to the fact that I still had a lot of files kicking around from the AC demo directories. A huge amount of unnecessary stuff must have been getting pulled into VRAM and blasting it to pieces.

Thanks to everyone who may have stopped by and given it some thought. :)

• For the record, you can always use the Character: Animate Action's "Set standard" method to change the various walk, idle, talk etc animations.  You'd have to change them one-by-one, but it would mean you can use the same character.

Unless you're using Sprites Unity Complex, of course, in which case you could just have an "Animation set" parameter in your FSM that controls which set of animations get used.
  • Thanks Chris! I may give that a shot just to see if it improves performance even further.