Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible Bug: Incorrect Image Effect Order on Main Camera

This one is a bit weird and although I'm now testing it with version 1.43, it has started a while ago when I first switched to Unity5/AC1.42. The problem is that the order of image effects on the main camera is reversed (I think) after quitting and restarting Unity (or after switching to another scene and coming back).

I created a new project, imported AC1.43 and imported the Image Effects from the Standard Assets. I then created a scene, pressed "Organise room objects" and loaded a few arbitrary image effects onto the main camera. I saved the scene and quit Unity. When I re-opened the scene, the order of image effects was not the same as the one I have previously set. Just for the sake of testing, I also added an additional Unity camera to the same scene and placed the same image effects, which I have previously placed on AC's main camera, onto it as well. This camera did keep the image effect order after quitting intact while AC's main camera did not.

Please feel free to request any further info.

Thanks.

Comments

• What's the best way to test this?  Are there a couple of effects that stand out as being the easiest to detect whether the order is correct or not?
  • Not really. I just took three arbitrary image effects from the Standard Assets.
  • edited April 2015
    A bizarre one, and I believe this is a bug with Unity.  It occurs for other components (try it with the Flare Layer and Audio Listener), and only occurs if the prefab connection isn't broken.

I don't know of the best way to counter this, save for remaking the MainCamera local to the scene, and deleting the prefabbed one stops the issue occuring.  It's possible to break the connection automatically through script when the Scene Manager creates it, but I'm too comfortable with that.
  • Well, if you deem it's a Unity bug then I don't know myself what's the best way to deal with it. Whatever you decide, whether it's a fix or a recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks.

• For now, at least, I'd suggest using your own MainCamera object: just tag a Camera as MainCamera, add the MainCamera script component, and AC will use it as normal.  Just don't prefab it, and it'll work with whatever scripts you add.

That'll at least tide things over until a proper fix is issued.
  • Ok, sounds good. Thanks!
  • It seems this issue is affecting other Unity users, as reported here.
  • Thanks.

I'm going to go with breaking the prefab connection for the MainCamera and also for all GameCameras as I have my components stored in the GameCameras and copied at runtime to the MainCamera.

• An update: v1.44 will break the connection automatically when you create a new scene.  To break the connection in an existing scene, you'll have to delete the camera (or untag it), and click "Organise room objects" in the Scene Manager to generate a new one.
  • I already broke the prefab connection on all my MainCameras and GameCameras by selecting GameObject->Break Prefab Instance. Isn't it good enough?

• Sure, but not everyone will think of that - and I don't believe there's too much need for the prefab link to remain, going forward.