Forum rules - please read before posting.

Upgrade from AC 1.39 to 1.43 breaks menu and dialogue

Hi there! First i wanna say that AC is an incredible tool which has made it possible for me (a programmer by no means) able to develop a game i would otherwise have no idea how to create. So, thank you!

I've been a lurker on the forums for months now and have finally run into a problem whose solution i couldn't find here. Im running Unity 4.6.3 and recently updated to AC 1.43 from 1.39 (big jump i know. probably why im having all these issues). I originally updated due to an issue where i wanted to toggle my cursor from unlocked (in a separate scene which serves as the title screen) to locked (main game scene) and needed the player: constrain lock cursor action which my version 1.39 didn't have...At least i don't think it did since i couldn't find it anywhere (it had player: constrain but no options for cursor control).
So i updated and now the title screen scene, which was running perfectly and would start the main game scene once i clicked Play, no longer does anything when i click it. I originally followed your tutorial about making 3D title screens (in 1.39) and made sure everything was working before i updated the AC plugin so im pretty sure the update has to do with it. I also restored all the scene, settings, actions, etc assets to the ones i was originally using before the update so i don't think they're the problem. 
In addition to this problem with the menu i also noticed that the dialogue interactions in my main game scene stopped working properly too. Triggers and hotspots would all work as they were supposed to but when an NPC was supposed to speak the dialogue box never showed up. It seemed as if they ran through all the actions but skipped over the conversation components. Looking over the actionlists again i couldn't find anything wrong or different from how they had been before. 
All the hotspots, interactions, menus, etc all seem to be unchanged so im just lost and have no idea what could be causing the break in interactions.

Something has obviously changed during the upgrades which has altered the way certain interactions work and its clear that my outdated actionslists aren't working the way they should with the new AC. I just have no idea what to fix!

Any help would be so so appreciated! Im nearing the end of my game and i just want a pretty title screen (and working dialogue) ToT

Comments

• While AC's generally supposed to be upgraded one large update at a time, it should be possible to skip a few, so long as you deal with each of the "Update notes" for each release.  Go through the Changelog.txt to see if there's anything you may have missed.

In between 1.39 and 1.43, it became possible to override Conversation's Dialog Options by having the Actions for each option in the same list as the "Dialogue: Start conversation" Action itself.  However, that shouldn't affect any previously-made Conversations unless you tell it to.

Does the 3D Demo work?  Try loading the 3D Demo managers, then the Basement scene.  The Conversation in that still uses the old system.  If that works, it could be an issue with your Menu.

As for your Title screen problem, is this a Unity UI or AC-based Menu?  Screenshots of your Inspector would help - I'm not sure if these two issues are related.