Forum rules - please read before posting.

Online tutorials: Making your own models

edited May 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi. Newbie here. Just really wanting to get into making my own unique character models for a game and animating them but of course I don't know how to code. Does anyone know what tools I would need in order to do this within unity / adventure creator? ( I need to use them in Adventure Creator ultimately). Can you actually do this within the program without knowing any code? If not what program can I use to create and then animate custom characters for use in Adventure Creator? If this is even possible to do without coding I will be overjoyed. 

Any help or response at all greatly appreciated. Cheers,

- Dan

Comments

• For modeling you would want either Maya or blend as they are the easiest in my opinion.

For animation you would want the same.

I prefer Maya for modeling and animating my characters and props.

If youre new to either then i suggest taking a course or studying online on youtube.

You dont want to come into this industry with nothing and expect to make games that people can enjoy, luckily Unity has the Asset Store that has alot of great resources, but it can be costly.

To wrap this up, learn those tools before going into unity, becuase if you dont, you will end up running into alot of problems with level creation and originality in your game.

Hope this helps
  • Thanks this helped a lot. I've found some very helpful Maya tutorials on You Tube. I've bought some things from the asset store and they are pretty great but I do really want to make my own original work so definitely learning Maya will be my next step. All I have is a bunch of ideas for my game on paper right now. I'm definitely aware making an original game on my own from scratch and learning how to do it will likely take a very very long time if I can ever pull it off at all. But I'm pretty dedicated to giving it my best shot and putting a huge amount of time and money into the attempt. It's more of a hobby for me as I am retired. Anyway lots of learning afoot. Cheers for directing me to more of the software I need.