Forum rules - please read before posting.

[SOLVED] Save/Load problems

edited May 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hello everybody,
and first of all a very big Thank You to Chris. This is a wonderful Asset, I have waited for a long time.
Now my problems:

1) I made Save-Game inside my game without problems. But after loading this save I get this error:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
SaveSystem.AssignMenuElementVisibility (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 menus, System.String menuElementVisibilityData) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:1274)
SaveSystem.ReturnMainData () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:913)
SaveSystem.OnLevelWasLoaded () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:241)
SaveSystem.LoadSaveGame (Int32 slot) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:170)
SaveSystem.LoadGame (Int32 slot) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:75)
AC.PlayerMenus.CheckClick (AC.Menu _menu, AC.MenuElement _element, Int32 _slot, Int32 _buttonPressed) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:775)
AC.PlayerMenus.OnGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:350)

I am not very firm with scripting. Maybe someone can give me an advice where to search for the problem?

2) When I load a savegame, while a cutscene is running, the save is loaded, but the game is still in pause-mode.
Cursor is still disabled.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• The two are likely related.  If the loading failed, Unity probably won't continue - so let's sort out 1) first.

Did you change your Menu Manager or alter the Menus / Elements inside after saving and before loading?  The error message sounds like it's looking for elements that no longer exist.
  • Hello Chris, thanks for answering.

I do not change anything. I save the game, stop it and restart. Then I load the save and the error appears.
    I search for the reason since hours. Maybe it is a problem with one of my menues. I will try to deactivate one after the other.

And sorry for the bad english sometimes. Is not my native language.
  • OMG, I found the error!
    I have 2 menues with no menu-elements inside. They have a menu-name of just a line ("-----------") for separate various menu-types. After I created a label-element inside both of them, the saves work great! Also problem number 2) is solved now.

Thanks for your time Chris and for AC. It is a wonderful tool!
    Just one more question. Is it possible to have a "wait-action"? To make a action-list to stop for some time without pause the complete game? It would be great for show a menu like "Get new Item" for some seconds in background, without stop the game.
    Maybe I just do not find a possibility, that already exists. Any advice?
  • If you are using a Cutscene, Trigger or Interaction, you can set it's "When running" box to "Run in background".  This will cause the Engine: Pause game Action to run in the background, acting like a delay, and won't stop the game.
  • Would be great, if this option would also exist in MenuActionLists and InvActionLists.
    Thank you for your help!
  • Don't forget that - from within Menu/Inv ActionLists, you can use the Engine: Run ActionList Action to run scene-based Cutscenes by referencing an ID number (just attach a ConstantID script to the Cutscene and copy the Constant ID number).  You can then set that particular Cutscene to run in the background.
  • Sure, but this only works inside the scene the cutscene exists. Menu/Inv ActionLists work independent from scenes. I try to make a menu, that can be turned on, stay for some seconds and then turn off. All this shall work from every scene without pause the game. Just the Engine: Pause Game Action inside the MenuActionList stops the game.

• It's a limitation for the moment, to be sure, but I'll look into improving it.