Forum rules - please read before posting.

Draggable - Which type to use for a dial?

I'm trying to make a combination safe dial (in a different way to the Physics Demo but much the same principle).  I'm trying to make rotary dials so their rotation is a circle facing camera. Like the dials of a gas-meter or clock face rather than how the demo does it.

I'm struggling to get the physics settings quite right. It might be a Unity limitation to do with how it decides which direction to turn but what happens is this:

In game-play: I try to click and drag the pointer and it turns but then suddenly reverses as if it has gotten confused about where I mean to point the dial.

I am using a Hinge track rather than a curve because it seems to work better. I have it set to loop which is useful given my purpose.

Perhaps there is a way to improve the way the physics settings to prevent the wild spinning back?

One thing which might solve the issue if there is not is being able to select (when a looping hinge or curve is chosen) is to limit to one direction only: maybe a check-box and then a - or + direction option?

I have another question about tracks but I'll make a new post for that.

Comments

• Without seeing your set-up, I can't make much comment.  I would've thought a Curved Track would be best for this, though.  Do you have an "Interaction on Move" defined?
  • I'm exploring a very simple single dial setup to begin with in its own little project.

Would it be better 1) to bundle up the project and sent it so you can see or would it be better 2) to screen shot all the various settings and a video of the results here?

If 1) is suitable, what would I need to zip up and send?

I appreciate its an involved support request.

Cheers 
  • I only take submissions as a last result, but in this case it might be easier than trying to replicate things from screens.  Make a .unitypackage of the bare-minimum needed to recreate - no AC, no unnecessary graphics, and as simple as possible to see the problem.