Forum rules - please read before posting.

Will this work on Blackberry and Windows Phone?

edited May 2014 in Technical Q&A
I know Unity will work with those platforms, but the main feature page for adventure creator excludes those operating systems. Just curious. Thank You!

Comments

• Without access to these devices for testing, I'm not able to say for certain one way or the other.  It's generally a library issue when devices don't work.  The upcoming 1.34 update does fix a known editor error in 1.33b for WP8 devices, but beyond that I can't be certain.

Anyone else have any luck with these devices?

• I will have to download SDK emulators both OS and see if the demo games will work on them and report back.
  • WP8 won't build ending with the error

Error building Player: Exception: Error: type `System.Xml.XmlTextWriter` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp.dll at System.String Serializer::SerializeObjectXML(System.Object).
    Error: type `System.Xml.XmlTextWriter` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp.dll at System.String Serializer::SerializeObjectXML(System.Object).
    Error: method `System.Void System.Xml.XmlTextWriter::.ctor(System.IO.Stream,System.Text.Encoding)` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp.dll at System.String Serializer::SerializeObjectXML(System.Object).
    Error: type `System.Xml.XmlTextWriter` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp.dll at System.String Serializer::SerializeObjectXML(System.Object).
    Error: method `System.IO.Stream System.Xml.XmlTextWriter::get_BaseStream()` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp.dll at System.String Serializer::SerializeObjectXML(System.Object).

• Which version are you using?
  • Seems to be down to not all Windows Phones having the XML library needed by AC.  You should be able to get around this by including the library in the build itself.

Look for System.Xml.dll in your Unity folder, and copy it into your project's Asset folder.

In Windows, this'll be found in /Editor/Data/Mono/lib/mono/2.0/
    and Mac: /Contents/Frameworks/Mono/lib/mono/2.0/

If this works, let me know and I'll add it to the manual.
  • I use version 1.34b

After I copied  System.Xml.dll Unity flashed with following errors: 

Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/Serializer.cs(118,17): error CS0433: The imported type `System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer' is defined multiple times

Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/Serializer.cs(119,17): error CS0433: The imported type `System.Xml.XmlTextWriter' is defined multiple times
  • Please bear with me: I'm feeling my way through the dark, here.

Open up the Serializer.cs script (it's in AdventureCreator -> Scripts -> Save system) and remove the lines at the top: using System.Xml; and using System.Xml.Serialization;

• new errors are:

Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/Serializer.cs(118,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `XmlSerializer' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/Serializer.cs(119,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `XmlTextWriter' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/Serializer.cs(131,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `XmlSerializer' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

• edited June 2014
    OK.  The errors are all related, but let's just concentrate on the first one: go to line 118 and replace XMLSerializer with System.Xml.XMLSerializer.  Any luck?  Again, it may be some variant that does it, such as System.XMLSerializer instead, or removing using System; as well.
  • It spawns more errors.
    You know you can try to compile it by yourself. You don't even need a WP device for that.
    I'm sure that you will be able to solve it a lot faster than I do
  • I wasn't aware of that - I will see what I can do.
  • Where you able to test it, Chris?
  • Unfortunately not - it's Windows 8 only and I don't have it (in fact, I don't even have a PC, so I had to go through a few hoops just to get Windows at all).

What's more frustrating is that I have had reports of AC compiling on WP8 from other users just fine.  I'm not wised up on WP8 platforms at all, but are you up-to-date on your software?
  • Hm... I'll install every update available and give it another shot.
    Thanks!