Forum rules - please read before posting.

2D Character Conversation Animation

edited March 2015 in Technical Q&A
Hello,

Im still learning the ropes.

I am trying to get a npc to animation during his speach.

i have 2d brian as the main player, and a copy of this prefab for the npc, got the conversation working. but cant figure out how to get the npc to change to the talk animation.

Its using unity sprites for animation i believe.

My conversation set up below

Comments

• edited March 2015
    You don't need to assign the Player prefab (Brain2D) into your Speaker field - just check Player line? and AC will handle this for you.

You also don't need to animate your character actually doing the talking, provided you've set up your Standard 2D animations panel (in the NPC / Player inspectors) correctly.  AC will play a talk animation (if supplied) when appropriate.

Have a look at Brain2D's Player component, and see how it corresponds to the various animations that are already present in his Animator component.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks for the info Chris. 

I was trying to get the other character to speak, just stood there. 

Having looked around, you were correct. I didn't have the sprite child assigned in the standard 2d animations section in the inspector. Doh. 

The other character now has the animations :)

Thank you !

Since, im here, and don't wish to start flooding the tech thread (can do if you wish tho) was wondering if there was a way to anchor a hotspot to an npc following the player. Got the character to follow on start, but the hotspot where he once stood stays in the same place. 

So basically what i was looking for is to be able to speak to the following character at any time as he follows.  Tried parenting a hotspot to the following character, but the hotspot went crazy, disappeared and stuff.

Another small problem i was having is: got a trigger and is set to change scene when player enters. But doesnt execute, player just walks right through/over. 

Tried turning off the 'is skippable' checkmark, did nothing. Should also note that the player does has the player tag set.

Trigger setup below:

• Please post these in separate threads next time.  It's easier to reply to, and also for others to search for.

To make an NPC interactive, just attach the Hotspot component to their base object.  So long as they have a Collider (set to Is Trigger?) attached, they'll be interactive.

You'll also need a Trigger collider on your Player for Triggers to detect him.  What 2D mode are you in?  It's strongly recommended to make use of Unity 2D mode, and your Scene set up suggests you're in Top Down mode, which is no longer the best mode to use.
  • Thanks again. Good information, will try it all :)

I was using the 2D mode, but saw a tutorial video about top-down being the default from now on. Must have been an older video or something. Will move back Unity 2D mode.

Will create new threads from now on.

Thanks 

Gav
  • No problem.  The videos are incredibly old, and I'm making some new ones to replace them at the moment.  I'm hoping to coincide their release with 1.43, but we'll see.
  • edited March 2015
    ah good plan, i think things have changed since these videos. They are good though, and still good stuff in there :)

Btw, i think after 2 weeks of playing around. I can stately say, this is the best package on the asset store !

Cheers

Gav
  • Thanks very much!  Asset Store reviews are always welcome, but look out for 1.43 + new tutorial videos shortly either way.
  • I will write a review but want to use it more to see what more it can do for a complete review :) 
  • For sure, that's best.  The tutorial videos are now here: check them out on AC's tutorials home page.