Forum rules - please read before posting.

2D versus 3D for mobile

edited March 2015 in Adventure talk
For people who have gone before me...
So I am looking for some advice. I am planning on making a point a click game similar to "The Lost City" (see below) . I am a photographer so I will use my elements and some 2D and 3D particles and sprite animations  to give the vibe.

But: 
The other option is to do it in 3D. The challenge is not the problem with the content but more I believe the game will end up being large/huge in size in MB. 
If i was releasing this just for PC/MAC then I would not worry. But even with optimized 3D it will still be huge.

So people of experience....what would you do.

Comments

• Err... are you sure about this: "The challenge is not the problem with the content" ? :P

If you are a photographer, you already are familiar with 2D, photoshop editing, etc... but creating 3D assets is way way harder (modeling, UV mapping, texturing, needs characters? then add rigging and animation).

About game size... I think that meshes and textures for the 3D elements would be lower than full screen 2D backgrounds for each room+sprites for objects... But I think that development would be easier.

So my advice? Do it with the tools you know, as you'll already have to deal with new stuff from Unity and AC.

PS. I really enjoyed "The lost city" game ^.^
  • Thanks for your reply MaaS.