Forum rules - please read before posting.

Playing around with Options and PlayerPrefs totally broke AC - Help!

edited February 2015 in Technical Q&A
Hi there.

Today I totally broke AC. I played around with Saving and PlayerPrefs. I backed up my project before and then I changed a few things in Options.cs, OptionsData.cs and SettingsManager.cs and tried to add a "Scenario" options field. As expected it didn't work, so I reverted everything - BUT since then I get endless errors shown as soon I click the Settings Menu Tab of the AC Game Editor, the tab disappears and is unresponsive. It even seems to be broken when I load older versions of my game. 

So I totally removed Unity 4.6.2 from my PC (Win7 64 bit), cleaned all Unity and Monobehavior related stuff in several /AppData etc. places, restarted the computer, installed Unity new, downloaded and imported AC 1.42c and started a new AC project. With exactly the same results. Everything is broken as soon I click the "settings" menu tab - even with a completely fresh project. 

I'm a bit desperate now, because it blocks me from working. I'm no programmer and only know the absolute unity basics. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this?? 

Thank you soooo much!!

edit: I just started my project on another pc, and there everything seems to run fine. So something definitely got messed up on my PC here, but I have no idea what :(
SerializationException: Field "Scenario" not found in class OptionsData
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadTypeMetadata (System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean isRuntimeObject, Boolean hasTypeInfo) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:691)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObjectInstance (System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean isRuntimeObject, Boolean hasTypeInfo, System.Int64& objectId, System.Object& value, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo& info) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:269)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObject (BinaryElement element, System.IO.BinaryReader reader, System.Int64& objectId, System.Object& value, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo& info) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:195)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObject (BinaryElement element, System.IO.BinaryReader reader, System.Int64& objectId, System.Object& value, System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo& info) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:223)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadNextObject (BinaryElement element, System.IO.BinaryReader reader) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:130)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObjectGraph (BinaryElement elem, System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean readHeaders, System.Object& result, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Header[]& headers) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/ObjectReader.cs:104)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.NoCheckDeserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler handler) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/BinaryFormatter.cs:179)
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary/BinaryFormatter.cs:136)
AC.Serializer.DeserializeObjectBinary[OptionsData] (System.String pString) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/Serializer.cs:111)
AC.SettingsManager.ShowGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/SettingsManager.cs:530)
AdventureCreator.OnGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AdventureCreator.cs:138)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Comments

• It's not recommended to edit the save scripts, but keep in mind that 1.42 brings new methods to save both global and local data.
  • Yes, I know now. But I totally wasn't aware that playing around in the code could cause AC to be broken even after reinstalling and stuff :(
  • I had the same issue and broke everything by saving with an old version (and then updating) ;) even after reverting to a working project the problem persisted.

I solved it by removing everything related to the game from the windows registry. (i removed everything unity related aswell, but i'm not sure that's needed) - search for your game name and company with regedit, but only edit/delete entries if you know what you are doing ;) )
  • edited February 2015
    Ah, thanks for the tip, I didn't look into the registry. I'll try that after I finished my current project (which is running ok again btw. But new AC projects still are broken).
  • edited March 2015
    Before I upgraded to Unity 5 today I deinstalled Unity 4.6.2, deleted all unity- and Adventure Creator related files from my system drive and from the windows registry. Now everything works perfectly again, no nasty errors anymore, yay :)