Forum rules - please read before posting.

Ability to "reference" lines?

This is more of a suggestion/discussion point.

I was thinking it'd be cool if you could reference lines inside of action lists rather than having to explicitly specify them within the action list, which will (implicitly) create a new line every time.

Quite often I need to have a character say the same thing in different action lists.

Currently the two solutions (that I've found are):

- Duplicate the text and the corresponding speech file (waste of ram/hdd space)
- Create a new action list, stick the duplicated line(s) in there and call it from the action list that I want to use it in (less/no waste, but somewhat cumbersome)

A third solution would be to have the ability to "edit" the ID part of a Dialogue action in some way, so as to point it to another, pre-existing, line (so basically it's a "Reference Dialogue Action" rather than a default dialogue action)

Thoughts?

Comments

• I do see your point, but on the other hand, the speech Action's already gotten quite fat, and I'm not sure about adding such a feature officially, as 99% of users wouldn't need it.

You can, however, modify the action very easily to expose the ID yourself. Open up ActionSpeech.cs, and find the ShowGUI function.

Replace:
    if (lineID > -1)
    {
      EditorGUILayout
    .LabelField ("Speech Manager ID:", lineID.ToString ());
    }

With:
    lineID = EditorGUILayout.IntField ("Speech Manager ID: ", lineID);
  • Great, I'll give that a go, thanks Chris!
  • Actually one thing I just noticed somewhat randomly is that if you copy paste a Dialogue: Play Speech action into a different actionlist it will preserve the Speech Manager ID of the original Play Speech

Which basically has the exact same effect as the functionality I am looking for...

Should I be doing a little victory dance? Or does this actually risk failing at some point down the line? (maybe when I refresh all text again or something such duplicated IDs will change?)
  • If it works, that's a good idea!  I'm not actually sure how that would affect the Speech Manager, though - I'll run a test of my own.  Certainly it won't be reset so long as you stay away from the "Reset lines" function.
  • I understand that this:

Replace:
    if (lineID > -1)
    {
      EditorGUILayout.LabelField ("Speech Manager ID:", lineID.ToString ());
    }

With:
    lineID = EditorGUILayout.IntField ("Speech Manager ID: ", lineID);

It is only working for ONE lineID

What happens when we have multilineIDs?
    How we can change them then?
  • Just reference the multiLineID array instead:

for (int i=0; i<multiLineID.Length; i++)
    {
      multiLineID[i] = EditorGUILayout.IntField ("MultiLine ID #" + i, multiLineID[i]);
    }