Forum rules - please read before posting.

Straight to Cursor Mode

I've just been playing around with this mode and may have not set up things properly, but I was wondering if it is possible to still click on things like draggable objects while in the "Straight to Cursor" mode?

When I tested it, it would move the player but the mouse would never register the object unless I switched to Point and Click mode.

Thanks!

Comments

• Is it Draggables specifically that fail to register, or also things like Hotspots?
  • It's strange, the Hotspot seems to work fine, and objects work when they are within the collision box of the hotspot, but when they are moved out of it they stop registering.

I'm just not sure if I haven't set my scene up properly or this mode isn't supposed to be used with certain things? Or maybe it's a bug? I will keep playing around with it!
  • Still having some trouble with this!

It seems that draggable and pick-up objects do not work with the "Straight to Cursor" or "Drag"  movement modes. Everything else works fine, including hotspots and triggers. And as soon as I switch to the "Point and Click" mode, the draggables work perfectly.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you!
  • My own testing didn't turn up any problems.  Are you using the latest version of AC?
  • Yes I am! Maybe I should try reinstalling it?

It's strange, I haven't changed too many default settings but I must have hit something somewhere. And I don't understand why it would work in the "point and click" mode but not in others!

I can take screenshots of my scene if it would help troubleshoot, but I wasn't sure what settings would be helpful to see.

Thanks again!
  • I'll chip in that draggables can totally fail to register any interaction with the user's cursor if the movables ray length is not long enough (in project settings rather a draggable object variable). 

What constitutes "long enough" is a little bit of a conundrum to me.  I don't fully understand what's going on under-the-hood with draggables and ray-casting (?) but it seems if the camera is too far away then the ray length MUST increase. I can't see anything in the manual to indicate how this works but I might be missing something.

Chris will be able to say whether this is applicable here or not and whether there are considerations relation to distance/length.
  • It's the same length regardless of your Movement method, so if it's working with Point And Click, it should also work with Straight To Cursor.

@ksavory: Take a screenshot of your full Draggable object's Inspector, and your full Settings Manager.  There may be more settings to consider than just the Movement method.
  • Thanks Xidore, I did play around with the ray length settings anyway, but no luck!

Here are the settings, Chris!

• I'm inclined to say it's because your in a 2D game, but you're using 3D Colliders so it might not be a problem.  Nothing else seems out of place.

Try using the "rock" pickup from the Physics Demo.  Make a prefab out of it, and re-use it in your own scene (just be sure to amend the Remember Moveable script to have it On by default).  Whether that works or not, at lease we'll then have more of an idea as to where the problem lies.
  • The rock from the physics demo didn't work either when I put it in my scene. I also found that if I start a new project and import AC, making a pick-up object in the 2D demo also doesn't work when in "Straight to Cursor" mode, but it does work in "Point and click". Does that not happen in yours?

I think you're probably right with the problem being connected to having a 2D game!
  • Indeed.  If your Camera is Orthographic, that's probably the cause.
  • So it seems to be the camera perspective in the settings menu as "2D" which causes the problem! The "2.5D" and "3D" setting allow the pick-up to work, it's when I put it in the "2D" mode that it won't work, regardless of whether the camera itself is set to orthographic or perspective.

Is there any way around this? I'm assuming it's because it's a 3D collider, although it seems strange that it would still work with Point and Click. Or is there a way I could change the camera perspective mode through an action?
  • Even if you're making a game in 2D, you can still set your camera's projection to Perspective - it's just Orthographic by default.
  • Sorry if I wasn't clear!

It's not the orthographic or perspective option that makes a difference, it's when the "camera perspective" setting in the AC settings menu is switched to 2.5D or 3D that it starts working again.

When it is in 2D mode, the draggables don't work in either orthographic or perspective mode with the Straight to Cursor movement.
  • OK.  While Draggables aren't technically supported for 2D, it may be possible to change this without too much hassle.  I do have to prioritise the bugfixes of 1.43, so I apologise in advance if this isn't seen to immediately.
  • Thank you, Chris! I really appreciate it! The support you're giving for this tool is phenomenal. :)