Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animated models not animating in game

I have followed the tuts with regard to using the demo model (robot) and seem to be hitting a brickwall. For some reason, the model is still in the t-pose when the game starts and none of the animations seem to be recognized in the game. 

I have even imported another model using iclone and 3dmax exported as fbx file with geometry and animations included, but these exhibit the same problem. They animate fine in the preview window, but not when I run the game. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Any help with this please. I have managed to get the characters to animate, but the problem is that the player seems to slide when walking. I have played the acceleration and deceleration values, but the problem still persists. Is this something that I can correct in AC or it in the model before I import. Thanks 
  • You haven't said whether your working in Legacy or Mecanim or not.  And if you're using Mecanim, are you relying on "Root motion"?  There are a lot of ways AC can animate characters - I do need more info before I can give specific help.

Ramping up the deceleration value to a high value (e.g. 100) should cause the character to stop instantly.  Is the problem instead that they don't stop close enough to their target?  You can modify the "closeness factor" with the Destination accuracy slider in the Settings Manager.
  • Hi Chris. I am using legacy with unity navigation. I made sure the character was correctly setup in iclone before exporting and all geometries and animations were exported with it. If you need specific settings, please ask and I shall post here. I do not know what settings to post as of writing. 

As a side note, the game I am looking to author is point & click hidden object and would like to use the mouse only to interact with objects etc and have no player. Is this possible with AC? Thanks
  • I'm not familiar with iclone, but if it results in an animated model it shouldn't matter.  What will affect things is it's scale - how does it compare, size-wise, with e.g. the Demo game's characters, Brain and Tin Pot.  Add them to your scene to compare them.  Again, the Deceleration and Destination accuracy settings I mentioned will help counter this, but it's important to know if there's a big difference in scale.  What's been the result of tweaking those values so far?

Hidden object games can be made with AC, but you'll want to make heavy use of parameters to avoid repetitive tasks.  Parameters can be used to make "generic" ActionLists that perform common tasks.  In a HO game, you could make such a list that runs whenever an object is clicked on: one which removes the sprite from the scene, disables it's associated Hotspot, remove an item from your inventory (assuming your inventory is used to show "objects to find"), and even add a score.

A tutorial that covers the basics of parameters can be found here.
  • Thanks Chris. 2 final questions Would the kind of game I want make, be known as a FPS game where the camera is attached to the player. I thought one way to do this would be to create an empty gameobject and attach a camera and tag it as player. Would that work? 

Also, is there a way to have the menu triggered rather than static on screen. Thanks
  • A tutorial on setting up First Person can be found here, and it's also possible to integrate Ultimate FPS.

You can use the Menu: Change state Action to enable Menus whenever you like.  If the Menu's Appear type is set to Manual, you'll have to use this Action to turn it on and off.  Otherwise, you can lock/unlock it to prevent it from showing when it's own "rules" would enable it.
  • Thanks Chris. I have another question regarding FPS, but I shall create a new discussion. Many thanks