Forum rules - please read before posting.

Integer variables, Set as Random and Formula question

edited January 2015 in Technical Q&A
I'm currently writing some background game point system and there are several small problems i came across.

1) I created a Integer global variable. At default, the value is 0. I check this value throught the game which says "its not being used". 

I create an button which calls for an actionlist asset that "variable set : Set as random" to 4.

But 1 out of 5 chance, the number again sets to 0. And this causes the "its not being used" status.

So is there a way to make Set as Random between two numbers rather than from 0 to some number.

2) Can we also add randomizer in to formulas without giving them a variable . This would be super sweet (which would clean a whole lot steps in my case). Something like 1 + 3 (random  = 4 to 8) / 2 = xxx

thanks

Comments

• 3) Also, when we set random number 0 to 4, does it mean = 0,1,2,3 or does it include 4 also.
    I've been hitting it for a while now and didnt see 4 till now. Previously i had similar problem but thought it simply is luck.
  • edited January 2015
    4) Actionlist asset formulas calculated later?

I got a 3 global variables (a,b,c) which are being updated by local (in scene) action list every time i click the button "update". And there is an actionlist asset that i run at the end of that local actionlist which sums up  a+b+c and writes the result on an global variable d

Problem is, On my first click , i see "a(with value of 5)", "b(6)" and "c(8)" variables are being updated but "global variable d" does not. And on my second click, variable d is updated (with combination of a5+b6+c8 which is in total 19)  but now a,b and c have already updated with new values.

So , formulas in action asset files are updated one click later?  Why might this be?

Another point is, this approach causes the result (d) to be never accurate. Is there a way to force this calculation done immediately ?
  • 5) When we divide a number in formulas, we only get whole numbers? can i not get 3/2 = 1.5?

• 6)

Im randomizing an integer of a localvariable from 0 to 10. And next, im checking the same variable to see if its equal to 0. If condition met (meaning, if its 0) i re connect it back to the randomizing local integer.

This setup should (in teory) always re randomize the local variable value if the result is 0. But i still see 0 after few tries. :|
  • edited January 2015
    7) I got a variable check which have 2 values. Yes and No.
    And i check this variable, if its yes, i add "+" to the begining of another variable:set action like this " +[localvar:1] "  and if the value is No, i add "-" so the value becomes " -[localvar:1] "

Unfortunately while trying this formula, sometimes after 2 sometimes after 3 values, Unity crashes :|

So is there a way to add - or + to the integers values

This is the error code.

yyException: irrecoverable syntax error
    Mono.Xml.XPath.XPathParser.yyparse (yyInput yyLex)
    Mono.Xml.XPath.XPathParser.Compile (System.String xpath)
    Rethrow as XPathException: Error during parse of number( + 2)
    Mono.Xml.XPath.XPathParser.Compile (System.String xpath)
    System.Xml.XPath.XPathExpression.Compile (System.String xpath, IXmlNamespaceResolver nsmgr, IStaticXsltContext ctx)
    System.Xml.XPath.XPathExpression.Compile (System.String xpath)
    System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator.Compile (System.String xpath)
    System.Xml.XPath.XPathNavigator.Evaluate (System.String xpath)
    AC.AdvGame.CalculateFormula (System.String formula) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/AdvGame.cs:149)
    AC.ActionVarSet.SetVariable (AC.GVar var, VariableLocation location, Boolean doSkip) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionVarSet.cs:130)
    AC.ActionVarSet.Run () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionVarSet.cs:86)
    AC.ActionList+<RunAction>c__Iterator1.MoveNext () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:202)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(String, Object)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessAction(Int32) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:174)
    AC.ActionList:EndAction(Action) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:285)
    AC.<RunAction>c__Iterator1:MoveNext() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:229)
  • 1) I don’t know where you’re getting “not being used” from.  Is this from another asset?  In any case, you can increase an integer by a set amount following a “set as random”.  Set it as 0-4, then add by 3, etc.

2) The formula code is handled by Unity’s own Text libraries.  What it can/can’t do is out of my hands.

3) The “4” is inclusive.

4) I can’t see why that would happen.  Clicking what, exactly - a Unity of AC button?  Try placing an “Engine: End game” Action within the asset file - that way we can see if it’s being run at all in the first click.  If it does, replace it with a (very tiny) pause just before setting Variable D.

5) Are you using Integers or Floats?  Try “3.0 / 2.0” instead.

6/7) Screenshots of the ActionLists?

• 1) I was meaning to say, i check variable to see ,if it has "0" value. If it has, than i make so in Ac menu Ui label, it shows "Its not being used". So that result is not an error. It was to just to show whole scenario of usage.

"Set it as 0-4, then add by 3, etc."

Alright, will give a try.

2) Alright than.

3) With a counter label counting the clicks and showing the results. I've yet to see value 4 in 400 randomising clicks. If i set it between 0-5, than i see 4 but again , never 5.

4) D'oh! I forget to click "run in paralel" for the engine: run actionlist. And also set the previous Actionlists to "wait until finish".  That was my bad. Now its working!

5) I would like to try ".0" values but the numbers comes from randomizing variables.
    But i guess i can write an action list to check the result and replace it with .0 values before dividing them. Would this be advisable ?

6)

7) this one is solved with me re arranging the actions and not writing + values but rather giving complete formulas like [var:1]+[var:2]
  • edited January 2015
    3) I think, unless this is really a bug and will be fixed in next update, ill go with "increase value with 1" so that even if it comes 0, it will become 1. And if it comes 9, than it will be 10.

There is also the posiblity that im just that unlucky and never get the top number :)
  • 3) I'm just going by Unity's description of the function involved.  If it's wrong, it's wrong.

5) A custom Action could do whatever you want with variables very simply.

6) Which variable is always being set to 0 - 10_zar or sonuc?  Again, a custom Action would do everything you need here.