Forum rules - please read before posting.

Camera Setup Assistance & Testing Character Movement

I am having a bit of trouble setting up my camera.  I am using 3rd person view. I created a NavCam using the create button in the camera section of the settings. However, I could not find the target field to point it at my player character.

Also, do I have to have a player start set up in my scene in order to see if the character prefab is moving/animating correctly? Or can I just drop the prefab into a scene?

Thank you for your time folks.

Comments

• I don't have an answer for your first question (I only use AC in 2D myself) but for your second you DO need a player start to test and you need to make sure your desired character prefab is set in the Settings Manager player slot.
  • Thanks Xidore, appreciate the information.
  • Hmm.. If I delete my player start marker and remove the prefab in the Settings Manager, then drag the prefab character into the scene, I can walk around with my character just fine when I hit play.

I don't know if this is as intended, though, and I'm not sure why I would ever not have a player start marker in the first place :)
  • I think this works so long as you have the same prefab listed in Player settings. It's linked by the prefab reference I believe. Still, I'd want to leave the generation of the player game object into the scene down to the AC procedures :)
  • Appreciate the feedback on the character testing Ill leave it to the code.
  • As of 1.41, a local player object will still work - though you should normally rely on a prefab in the Settings Manager.

As for your camera problem, the Camera will automatically follow the player.  I'm assuming your using the regular GameCamera?  So long as it's free to move (by default, it's locked), then target settings will appear at the bottom of it's Inspector.  Just unlock one of it's axes, and they'll appear.