Forum rules - please read before posting.

pathfinding question

My main character doesn't go around obstacles as i would expect it to.

see screenshot. it tries to go through these tombs even though there are not nav mesh segments and the baked unity navmesh goes around it.

are we missing something in the settings?

Comments

• Switch to NavMeshSegments - AC needs them to "catch" the mouse clicks - otherwise the intended destination may be a place the player cannot reach.
  • I added more navmesh segments all over and rebuild the unity navmesh. (those red planes are). And i actually added a few around the tombs.

When you say Switch to? what do you mean? those there are navmeshes 

now i found a werid behaviour
    If i set the player action on the hopspot to Walk To Marker, if would go around the tombs with proper pathfinding.
    If i use Walk to instead. it would go in a straight line and not try to pathfind.

maybe that's should be considered a bug?
  • The baked NavMesh also needs the Segments, which should form exactly the same shape as the baked NavMesh.  The NavMesh alone isn't enough, if you're using Point And Click movement.

A drawback of the Unity's Navigation is that the "target" point must always be over a baked NavMesh.  When the Hotspot is set to "Walk To", the target point becomes the Hotspot, where you have no NavMesh underneath.  Therefore, only "Walk To Marker" (with a Marker positioned above a NavMesh) will guarantee a proper pathfind.
  • gotcha. so add markers and don't rely on WalkTo in these cases.