Forum rules - please read before posting.

First Person issues

I'm doing a first person adventure but still having some issues with some "strange" behaviors.

1. I've locked the cursor in screen center, but how can i use the inventor, using the mouse? without a mouse key, i need them for interactions
Right now i've defined a new input toggleCursor with the same Button like the inventory, but this can not be the right behavior?! Is there a way to switch the toggle Cursor via Interaction?

2. Examine an inventory item: I would like to center the specified object and interact with it,zoom, rotate ... same problem here as in 1.  and i would like to switch to another camera to do this, but when the ActionList ends, it switches automatically back to the firstPersonCam, how can i prevent this? With this behavior (locking the cursor and firstPersonCam) it seems i'm not be able to do something like in the PhysicsDemo. Swtichting Camera to drawer, interact with the drawer (drag) and switch back to fpCam.

And Idea?

Thx a lot

Holger

Comments

• without a mouse key, i need them for interactions - this means without a mouse button to switch to toggleCursor. I need free aim and the left button for use and the right for examine the object.
  • edited November 2014
    1) Had the same problem but Chris fixed it in the last updates.
    Now you need to use the "Constrain: Free Aiming" Action when the Menu is Turned On. I'm saying Menu because che Inventory is actually a Menu (usually called Inventory if you started with the Demo Assets). Naturally you need to re-enable it when you close it.

2) Not sure about this asnwer. You say that you want to switch to another camera, but what camera? Take in mind that your character could be anywhere when you examine it, so I'm not sure what Camera you'd lik to use.
  • Thx for your answer, will try it.

2.) I want to examine items in my inventory, that the object will display on screen on a different cam (inventoryCam) where the object can be examine (zoom, rotate) like in the physicsDemo (rock). After click a button (exit) go back to fpCam.
  • or let's say i want to examine a desk. If i walk to the desk, and examine it, i will switch to deskCam, set FreeAiming and can drag drawers. On exit, i will return to my fpCam.
  • Understood, so your problem is that it automatically switches back to your cam? That's strange. You're using the switch camera action, right? I never tried it but I'm not sure why it should go back to your old camera...
  • If your movement method is set to First Person (or Ultimate FPS), then your FPS camera will always be "active" during gameplay - only during Cutscenes can you change the camera.

However, you can switch to other gameplay cameras simply by changing the movement method mid-game.  Use the Engine: Manage systems Action to change the Movement method to Point And Click, and also disable Movement.  You'll then be able to switch to deskCam for interactions - just use another such Action to switch back to first person afterwards.
  • Thx Chris, but this seems to work only half the way. The Cam switches to the deskCam, but i'm not be able to move the Cursor anymore. 

Deos this only works if my deskCam is tagged as "firstPersonCam" ? But if so, how could i switch between them.

Any idea?

• Chris, is there a solution?
  • Try using the Player: Constrain Action to lock free-aiming - that should stop the cursor from being locked in the centre.
  • No this doesn't work either, only if tag the deskCam as fpCam but then it will start the game with my deskCam. The other Problem would be (if this would work), if i Change the Movement to PointAndClick, i can't set free-aming (it disappears).
  • Well, that sounds like a bug then.  Free-aiming should be automatically disabled if you switch from FPS mode.  I'll look into it for 1.41.
  • In 1.41 it works, almost:

I switch to the desk-cam, change movement method to "point&click" and player constrain to free aiming "disabled" (which i think, i didn't used to). Everything works fine.

Then i switch back movement method to  "firstPerson" which works, but the cursor isn't locked in the center anymore. setting free aiming didn't work either.

Any idea?

• Sorry, that'll be fixed in 1.42.  The need to constrain Free-aiming with the Player: Constrain Action, however, is unnecessary in this case.